Bathroom Sink Defective

Old 01-14-14, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Sink Defective

I purchased a sink a few months ago and installed the sink a couple of weeks ago. Upon installation I noticed the drain was not completely round, rather slightly oval. This was obvious because due to how the drain flange settled in the drain. The drain sat up high on two sides and left gaps on two sides. My first thought was that the drain/drain flange was too small nut soon found out the drain are standard. I installed the drain in accordance with the manufacturerís instructions using putty on the underside of the drain flange.
At first I didn't have any problems but after a couple of days while I was washing up I had a significant leak under the sink. The putty had failed around the flange, due to the gap between the basin and flange on one side of the drain. I then discovered that the rubber gasket under the sink basin was not matching/snugging up to underside of the sink drain, thus not making a good seal due to the drain being slightly oval. I have tried to tighten it to seal the rubber up to the sink but even after almost breaking the drain tube (its plastic), I still can't get the rubber gasket to seal up all the way around.
I called the company I purchased the sink from but the manager insists that I only need to add silicone around the top part of the sink under the drain flange. I told him this might work to make a good seal on the top but does nothing for the underside. I keep insisting that the sink is defective since I can't get it to seal up to the sink. He then said that I was missing a metal washer that goes between the nut and rubber gasket. A metal washer will not fix this problem.
Now Iím stuck with tighten it up and then caulk around the underside of the sink with silicone. This is the only way I know to seal it. At the same time I donít think this is the proper way to fix it and it is temporary depending on how well I get it caulked up. So, Iím also considering logging a complaint but I want to be sure that my thinking that it is defective isn't wrong.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of where I canít get it to seal.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-14, 11:40 AM
can you take a picture of the bowl and drain assembly from up top?

Old 01-14-14, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Silicone or putty should never be needed to seal the sink drain. The hardware included with the sink, gaskets or rubber washers is all that should be needed.

Old 01-14-14, 01:17 PM
But it can't hurt either. You shouldn't need to fill in huge gaps like the OP's situation, but its fine for a preventative measure. To ensure a good seal.

Old 01-14-14, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Bring the sink back if the drain is not round.. I have had a few like that...

Also you need that rubber washer installed below.. I see you dont have it there...

Often I through away the strainers that come with the faucet and use an all brass one... I like them better...

Oh welcome to the forums....

Old 01-16-14, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the information. The rubber gasket is actually there. I over tightened it to try and get a good seal. I tried to take it back but I bought it 8 months ago and they said they can't exchange it. Manager insisted I add silicone at the top and that would correct the problem. This is the first sink I installed but I can do a lot of things myself especially with so much information on the internet and forums like this.
Thanks again

Old 01-16-14, 02:48 PM
Thanks again for the replies. Here's a picture of the top of the sink / drain flange. I figured it was defective but the manager said he's done lots of sinks with silicone and putty. He said that the holes usually are round and all that was needed.

Thanks for the input.

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-14, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Yeah...Its the sink IMO.... That gap is pretty big...

Old 01-17-14, 07:26 AM
bypass the store if they won't help and go to the manufacturer. I'd be willing to bet that with that photo attached to an email, you'd have a new sink before too long. Send them a photo of the receipt where you purchased it to, so they know what retailer wouldn't help you out.

Old 01-18-14, 09:32 AM
siuvinson
bypass the store if they won't help and go to the manufacturer. I'd be willing to bet that with that photo attached to an email, you'd have a new sink before too long. Send them a photo of the receipt where you purchased it to, so they know what retailer wouldn't help you out.

That 's sounds like a great idea. I bet that would really work!

Old 01-18-14, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Often I through away the strainers that come with the faucet and use an all brass one... I like them better...
Truer words can not be said, do away with the plastic drain assembly and purchase an all metal one like this: American Standard Metal Drain Etched with Logo in Polished Chrome-M953450-0020A at The Home Depot

The large rubber washer, metal washer and brass nut will allow you to really crank on the underside. Make sure the drain assembly is for a sink with an overflow. There are holes in the upper part to allow water to pass. Therefore the seal on the top is less important and you can focus on getting a good seal underneath. The large rubber washer is cone shaped to fit the hole and then seal even if there is some rough areas.

That plastic assembly could never be cranked enough to fix your situation.

Old 01-21-14, 09:22 AM
Good information

Thanks for the additional information. I did look for a metal drain assembly but wasn't able to find one with overflow drain.
Never thought about contacting the manufacturer of the sink. I guess I can check the sink for a manufacturer and try that. After a few discussions with the store and after being certain they won't help any further I filed a complaint with BBB. To me not exchanging the sink, that is still available, is bad business. I as a manager or owner wouldn't sell things that are defective. I guess it's just another case of get what you paid for.