Unknown Shower Leak

Old 01-15-14, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unknown Shower Leak

Hi All
I had our bathroom gutted and remodeled over a year ago. Right before xmas we noticed the bottom of the shower stall, the caulking was gummy and always wet. At the tile store they said the contractor did not use the correct caulk. We let the shower completely dry out and then recaulked the entire shower and sealed it. Today I noticed that the caulk on the bottom of the shower stall is getting gummy again. It is only happening on one side opposite the shower door. There is no leaking to the floor below (that I can see). Any recommedations on what to check to isolate the problem? I hope it will not entail a tear out of the shower floor and pan.
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 07:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
If there is moisture behind the caulk, then is will retard the setting up of the caulking. Was caulking also used in the vertical corners of the shower? or was grout used in the corners. Grout will crack and allow water to get in behind. What kind of caulking are you using? How long after caulking did you use the shower?

Old 01-15-14, 08:05 AM
We let the shower dry out for about a week prior to caulking, used silicone caulk for tubs/showers and let it dry for about 4 days before using again. We caulked all the corners.

Old 01-15-14, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 191 Votes on 177 Posts
Did you completely remove the old caulk and thoroughly clean the area before re-caulking?

Old 01-15-14, 09:40 AM
The shower was thoroughly cleaned and let to dry out before caulking. We removed the caulk from the bottom of the shower basin but not the verticle corners. That would sound like the leak is in the vertical corners (or possibly the bench) Sounds like we need to start over and remove ALL caulk from the entire shower, clean, dry and do over????