Shower faucet handle

Old 01-15-14, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower faucet handle

So I go in our second bathroom to clean the tub. I try to pull the handle. Its really hard to pull. Once I get it out it seems really loose and I try to make the water hot and it doesn't seem to be gripping the inside thing to turn it to make it hot or cold. Also when I try and turn it off it is difficult to turn off all the way.

I have a feeling that it will most likely need to be replaced, but I was wondering if there is any sort of quick fix we could do. We are having company coming and staying with us on Friday and I would like them to be able to take a hot shower w/o having to call our landlord who most likely couldn't come over till the weekend while our company will be there.

I took a picture of the handle so you have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 02:12 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
Most likely you only need to replace the cartdrige. Danco is a third party maker or try and get the original. Bring the original with you. Tell the brand and we can help you remove it.

Old 01-15-14, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't even see a brand name anywhere on it.

Old 01-15-14, 07:36 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
Turn off the water supply from below or the basement or if need be the whole house. Turn on a few other faucets to relieve any pipe pressure and drain the lines.
Using a screw driver pry off the plastic cap and unscrew the handle and pull it off the stem. Also look for some screws holding the large silver or chrome bezel against the wall and remove it. You might now see a brand name on it or inside it.
You will have to determine how to remove the stem. If its a MOEN then there will a small horse shoe like clip that should pull up and out and then the whole cartridge will slide out, providing not too much calcification has built up on it. Take a pic at this point and send it to us for identification.