cannot locate diverter valve to fix sink sprayer

Old 01-18-14, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cannot locate diverter valve to fix sink sprayer

My sink sprayer doesn't work properly. About half of the water goes through the faucet when using it. I did some research and am trying to locate the diverter valve to fix it but cannot locate it. I have attached photos of the faucet assembly. It is a Kohler single handle model. It looks like it is one solid piece, nothing screwed into it on the side like most I've seen in my research. There is a plastic piece up top but I don't know if it is removeable. I tugged gently at it with needle nose pliers but stopped because I didn't want to break it. Any suggestions?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-14, 01:23 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
The diverter valve is integrated in the center cartridge. Call Kohler. It should be a lifetime warranty item.

Old 01-18-14, 06:18 PM
Oops, I meant Moen. Kohler makes the basin. Anyway thanks for the help. I managed to figure out how to take that cartridge out and I see what you are talking about. I will clean it up and if that doewn't work, give them a call. Thanks again.

Old 01-19-14, 04:48 AM
Most likely cleaning it up won't help. Since Moen is "Buy it for looks, buy it for life", just have them send you a new one. They may ask you if you have a receipt. Don't let that deter you. Tell them you don't save receipts past a year. As long as it was purchased after 1997 you should qualify for the lifetime warranty.

Old 01-19-14, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Wow.....

Its most likely the sprayer... Did you try replacing that first?

Some of the diverter valves are in the spout itself...

Old 01-19-14, 05:32 AM
Wow.....

Its most likely the sprayer... Did you try replacing that first?

Some of the diverter valves are in the spout itself...

You might be right, but my experience shows them usually to be in the faucet valve cartridge body. I had this exact problem about 4 years ago on a brand new unit. They ask specific questions on the problem and said it was a defective cartridge. They just sent a new one. The only draw back is that you have to wait for it or take on the cost of expedited delivery.

Old 01-19-14, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
but my experience shows them usually to be in the faucet valve cartridge body
Thats a moen 1225b cartridge... Its not in there... Thats a simple on/off cartridge

Old 01-19-14, 06:21 AM
hmm... good catch. _______________________________________

Old 01-19-14, 08:16 PM
I cleaned it out and put it back together and it's still not working. I figured it wouldn't but it was worth a try. I did check and clean out the sprayer first but that's not it. Even with the sprayer off it is still half and half. I looked at Moen's warranty and I'm not sure it qualifies but I will call them any way. I don't have a receipt as it is the original fixture that came with the house and I am, I think, the second owner, but the house was built in 2002 so it's not that old.

Old 01-20-14, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
When you pull the cart out on the moen and look down the body, the check valve is there. A large flat blade removes it...( From memory)

Here it shows on the hose...( But I dont remember them there...)

You see some are in the body... The trick is finding it...

Old 01-20-14, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
This is from moen...

Low flow from side spray / Water still comes from spout with side spray activated
Typical Cause

This is caused by a malfunctioning diverter or debris within the valve/spout.
Solution

Replace the diverter. Please view our Find Your Product section to determine your model and the required diverter. Also, make sure the valve body is cleaned. In some models, the diverter is installed in the valve body; on other models it is installed around the valve body under the spout. If it is one of these models, make sure the spout is cleaned as well.

If the side spray does not shut off completely, it would also need to be replaced.