Only cold water coming from shower - help!

Old 01-21-14, 04:36 PM
Only cold water coming from shower - help!

Hi all -

After reading a good number of threads that seemed similar to my issue but didn't address the same scenario, I thought I'd post this for help.

Situation: Our master bathroom shower has all of a sudden stopped giving hot water. Whichever way the handle is turned, water still comes out, but none of it even remotely close to hot - all the same and essentially with the same pressure.

Equipment: The faucet is a single control bath faucet, Kohler Coralais K-15155 (Valve cartridge GP30413). Looks the same as the last page here: How Do I Identify My Single Control Bath Shower Valve. The house is an early-90's build and this seems to be the original setup.

Steps Taken: I've exhausted my plumbing expertise: Took it out, took it apart, shook it, swore at it, offered sacrifice to the appropriate deity, and reinstalled it. No luck.

So, any ideas before I just start ordering replacement parts?

Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-14, 07:25 AM
I am no plumbing god but had the same thing happen in my shower. had to replace the control. hole in wall and all.

Old 01-22-14, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
With a helper have the valve cartridge removed from the body. You look inside the valve body while the helper briefly turns the house's water on. You are looking to see if you have water flowing into the valve body on both the hot and cold sides. This will tell you if the problem is in the valve or elsewhere. If you do have hot water flowing into the valve housing I would make absolutely sure you are re-assembling it properly. Some valve assemblies can be assembled incorrectly and in a way that's not obvious. Check the Kohler website and look at their assembly drawings to make sure you are doing it correctly before shopping for parts.

Old 01-22-14, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
The part that is the issue is the balance spool. Part on right pic in your link...

Here... You may be able to spray lub in there to loosen the spool.. May get you some time...

IMO though its best to replace the cartridge too while your in there and put all new.

Did I mention how much I dislike those Kohlers????

Old 01-22-14, 07:41 PM
Thanks!

I'll be undertaking this bundle of joy on Saturday. I'll ring up the local plumbing wholesale shop and see if the've got the goods.

Thanks for your help and I'll report back with the results (which hopefully won't include suddenly having only hot water)!

Old 02-11-14, 02:17 PM
Done!

Quick update: Finally got this wrapped up today. Ended up being the pressure balance unit, as suggested.

Thing was jammed in there pretty good due to calcium deposits. Took a good about of WD-40 and whacking to get it loose.

But, problem is solved. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-11-14, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Great!!! Glad it worked out...

Welcome to the forums and don't be a stranger......