small leak with new shutoff valve...

Old 01-24-14, 04:25 PM
small leak with new shutoff valve...

Hello, I ripped out an old vanity in our bonus room bathroom and during the process, I had to remove the shutoff valves. I figured since I had everything apart, I'd go ahead and put in new shutoff valves. I bought of couple of Keeney shutoff valves at Lowes and both leaked a little when I first put them on. I then tightened them up a bit more and one stopped, but the other has a VERY slow drip (maybe one drip a minute). I don't want to over tighten them and risk really causing myself problems.

Any thoughts why the one is still slowly dripping? Is Keeney not a good brand? Would I be better off going to a true plumbing supplier to get the shutoff valves? I have not installed a new vanity yet. I want to get this resolved first.

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-14, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
What style valve and where is it leaking?

Compression type? sweat? Is it leaking from the packing or supply?

Let us know...

Old 01-25-14, 07:00 AM
Lawrosa,

It's a quarter-turn shutoff valve with what I think they call a compression ring. It's hard to determine where the leak is actually coming from, since it's so slow. I have the old shutoff valves (which appear to be made of copper and definitely look better made). Should I just go get another compression ring and install the old shutoff valves?

Here's a pic of the valve I bought (mine was 3/8 - 1/2, but the same style of valve):

Shop Keeney Mfg. Co. Chrome Quarter-Turn Angle Valve at Lowes.com

Thanks,

Andy

Old 01-25-14, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
If its from the compression nut and ferrule put some Teflon paste around the ferrule and threads of valve and re-tighten..

If its from the valve stem remove handle and see if there is a packing nut that can be tightened...

Old 01-25-14, 11:24 AM
lawrosa, when it was dripping more frequently (before I had posted here, and before I had tightened it a little more), I'm pretty sure it wasn't leaking from the valve stem itself.

I was looking at the tags that were attached to the shutoff valves and it says "do not use pipe dope on compression threads". Any idea why they would say this?

Old 01-25-14, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
do not use pipe dope on compression threads". Any idea why they would say this?

You could over tighten with dope and crack the nut... Add dope and just snug... Leak should stop...

Old 01-26-14, 09:15 AM
Lawros, you were on track the first time it turns out. I was looking at the handle and decided to try tightening the screw holding the handle in place. Not sure why, but now the slow leak is completely gone. Thanks for the tips!

Andy

Old 01-26-14, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Good job, but tightening the handle would not stop a leak...

Like I said remove the handle and see if there is a packing nut behind it...

Take a pic if you can...

The packing nut is what usually leaks...

Just saying...