Unusual sink leakage

Old 01-26-14, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unusual sink leakage

When this small porcelain sink fills to the top, and water goes into the overflow slots, it drips out through the hole shown here. The bottom is porcelain, so i don't understand how the hole got there. Anyway, what can be done about this? I'm afraid if I just patch the hole, water will collect inside.

Thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Give us a full shot of the bottom of the sink with the inside of the cabinet as well as an upper shot that shows the complete top and placement of the overflow hole. Can't make out much from you close ups.

I see your pop up stopper assembly is not connected.

Can you till if the drain assembly is set up for an overflow or not? Take the stopper out and see if you can get a picture of the inside edges of the drain from above.

Old 01-26-14, 07:27 PM
Thanks for replying I had to shrink the pics, because this website seems to crop pics larger than about 700 pixels wide. I can take more pics if necessary.

The drain has been backing up (which is how i discovered this problem), so i currently can't get a view of the drain. Maybe in an hour, when the water goes down.

There are 2 pairs of drain holes, both on the left side.

The sink is 1/2 inch from the wall because the caulking gave way, but water doesn't get back there.

Water only drips out the bottom when water enters the overflow holes, not when the sink is less than full.

Old 01-27-14, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You are going to have to drop the trap to clear the clog. You will need a pair of channel lock pliers and a bucket. Remove the "U" part of the drain over the bucket to catch all the water. You will most likely find a hair clog in the vertical section of the pipe. Once the water is clear, pull out the stopper and look inside the drain from the top. There should be holes on the side of the drain about an inch down the pipe.

Cultured marble vanity tops are made by pouring resin into a mold and are made upside down. The area indicated by where the water is dripping is hollow to save on weight, but still add strength to the structure. The overflow tube must have a small crack in it that is connected to the weep hole that did not seal during the second pour to create the overflow tube areas. Clear the drain and it should take care of your problem.

Old 01-27-14, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
Luckily cast tops like that are relatively inexpensive. If you routinely fill the sink to the point it gets to the overflow you may just want to replace it.

Old 01-27-14, 08:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Defective sink, even if you did seal up that hole some how there would be stagnant water trapped inside the sank that's going to stink.
There never should have been that big a gap from the wall like that.
Lay a level on the floor. My guess would be the floor is not level and the whole vanity base is tipped away from the wall.

Old 01-27-14, 02:22 PM
Yup, the floor tilts away from that wall. But that's not related to the leakage, right?
Czizzi's explanation below about a crack makes sense. I stand on the sink sometimes and that might have something to do with it.

By the way, the drain blockage is not near the sink. I used a 15 foot snake and couldn't reach it.

Old 01-29-14, 09:13 PM
An update - a plumber came to snake out the blocked line and found a 2nd hole similar to the other one. He didn't know why the holes were there, but said they will leak whenever the line blocks up and fills the sink, because the water can't escape. So i'm going to keep a bucket under the sink, and try to keep the line from clogging up.