Bathroom sink leaking at lower side of pop drain assembly even after replacement

Old 01-31-14, 11:23 AM
Bathroom sink leaking at lower side of pop drain assembly even after replacement

I notice a leak from the sink and discovered it was the pop up assembly so I got a new one in a kit. The old was full of plumbers putty with no gasket on the bottom side. New kit has rubber conical gasket to compress as nut is tightened but I have removed and installed new one a few times and keep getting a leak in one same spot where gasket meets porcelain on underside.
Should I put some silicone sealant on there and then tighten gasket and nut on or should I use putty on bottom as well as top where I was using it. This has me really annoyed after 2 nights of monkeying with it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-14, 11:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What's worked for me is plumbers putty instead of the rubber washer, make sure to use enough of it, the excess will squeeze out.
Apply two wraps of pipe tape on the threaded part before installing it. Do not cover up the over flow hole in the pop up.

Old 01-31-14, 11:35 AM
I will give that a try. At this point I have nothing to lose but a little more time.
Will give that a try this weekend and report back. Thanks for the tip.
Rob

Old 01-31-14, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On the new drain assembly, make sure the rounded part of the large black gasket faces the sink and not the washer/nut. If the "kit" you purchased contains any plastic parts to the assembly return it an get an all brass pop up drain assembly. The plastic ones are nothing but trouble and you can not crank it tight enough to prevent issues like you are experiencing. I refuse to install the plastic ones and insist to the homeowner that it is in their best interests to upgrade to the brass ones.

Old 02-03-14, 10:16 AM
czizzi,
I bought an all brass unit with no plastic parts in it at all. It was a box store one that was $12 more than the all plastic unit. That was worth it to me. I had posted some time back about removing stencil etchings from this sink and was informed it was painted then fired and they would not come off. At that time I also learned from a poster that this was a fairly expensive sink so I decided I would stick with the better parts for it. I should know sometime tonight if the repair is going to hold or if I will be trying it again. Spent all weekend changing out 1 1/4 inch overlay cabinet hinges. Most of them were just worn out after 30 years of neglect. Not terribly difficult but tiring. Could be that moving has finally caught up with me.
Will let you know what I find out tonight.
Thanks again,
Rob

Old 02-03-14, 10:35 AM
Sink drains will not leak and require only hand tightening. The trick is to get it perfectly plumb. If that fails then, yea go ahead and use TFE tape, silicone and/or plumbers putty. Sometimes, it just don't work the way its suppose to.

Old 02-04-14, 09:36 AM
Pleased to report it is now leak free at the drain. I loosened a water supply line to have room to work and it leaks a little but that is cake work there. I ended up going with a bead of silicone on the lower flange of the sink then installed the assembly and tightened it all up really good. Putty used on top of sink. After snugging up tight I ran some more between sink and bevel part of lower gasket and let it dry overnight and all is well.
thanks for the suggestions. This sink had an odd defect I suspect. When I removed the old one there was no lower gasket, just tons and tons of plumbers putty and a flat washer and nut.
Once I fix the hot water supply line leak I will run it thru some paces but filling it with cold it did fine.
Thanks again everyone.
Rob