Found small cracks on bottom of bathtub!

Old 02-04-14, 04:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Found small cracks on bottom of bathtub!

Recently I discovered a few smaller cracks on the bottom of my bathtub. A couple of them are fairly small hairline cracks, but one in particular (see picture) has cracked all the way through. When I push down on it I can see the separation. The tub doesn't leak yet but I should get this fixed soon.

Yesterday I bought a tub & shower repair kit from Home Depot, which included a paste and hardener. I mixed the two together and placed it in the cracked areas, as per the directions. After a few hours I checked and the crack described above is still there. Hopefully this will help with the smaller cracks at least.

It's a longshot, but is there any way to repair the crack that went all the way through? It's only about an inch long. We're looking to move soon, and the last thing I want to do is replace a 7 year old tub and adjacent tiles. Maybe some other type of glue material, or placing some type of filler under the tub to fill the void? (I am able to locate the approximate location of the crack from the basement). I was thinking of having it repaired professionally, but that may cost just as much as a new tub.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

Old 02-04-14, 04:37 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You will need to add some fiberglass to your patch in order to hold it together. Can you post a link to the patch kit you purchased? Want to make sure you are using the correct stuff which is for repair and not one for reglazing.

Old 02-04-14, 04:58 PM
T
Old 02-04-14, 04:58 PM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
I can't help but consider what you're doing. You're moving soon, so you don't want to fix a major appliance or fixture. So let the next person find out for themselves what a surprise it will be when the tub breaks open and leaks big time. Put yourself in their shoes. What will you think when you move into your next place and the previous owner "hides" a defect.

Since the epoxy did not work, get it fixed professionally or replace it. Add it to the cost of when you sell the place. Or don't fix it and let the new possible buyer be aware of the defect and adjust selling price accordingly. Being honest and open may actually help sell the house to interested parties.

I'm not trying to be a forum policeman, but what you're alluding to do is immoral and possibly illegal in some localities. Just say'n.

Old 02-04-14, 05:18 PM
T
I'm looking for a repair, not a coverup. I'd mention it to the new buyers no matter what. Professional may be the way to go, then at least I can say it was repaired professionally.

Old 02-04-14, 05:25 PM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me. Plus you'll know it was done right and you may still be able to use it yourself.

BTW...glad you didn't take insult to my previous reply.

Old 02-04-14, 05:39 PM
Seems to me Norm, that he is trying to fix by stopping by here on a DIY form. Don't think his intention was to shaft the future buyer, he is looking for advice, we are here to help. That said...

I have 3 fiberglass tub and or shower units in my own house that are vintage 1985 that are experiencing the same separation. Some units do that. I have successfully repairs all of my units with the procedures discussed. In the glue dept. of the box stores, near the Bondo and such, you will find small fiberglass sheets. Purchase, cut off a small portion and apply to the crack in the following way. Spread a little of the repair epoxy, smash the fiberglass into the resin and cover with more. Layer as needed with resin and then sand smooth. The floor texture will be different as yours has a dimple pattern, but the repair should hold and be permanent.

Old 02-04-14, 07:13 PM
T
So basically the same epoxy repair steps I did yesterday, but this time add a small film of fiberglass in the middle?

Old 02-05-14, 06:57 AM
Here is a pretty complete step by step. The kit differs from the one you used in that you can mix colors and it comes with a thickener and fiberglass mesh. First pass you use a thickened resin compound to set the mesh fabric. Then you come back with a thinned resin to blend.

How to Repair a Fiberglass Tub or Shower: 15 Steps

Old 02-06-14, 09:38 AM
The advices really helped me out too. I found a small crack on my fiberglass tub and I almost freaked out, thought it would develop into something major soon. I thought of using marine epoxy as an emergency fix but glad I didnt!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: