Toilet clogged with rubber cap

Old 02-04-14, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet clogged with rubber cap

I dropped a rubber cap for one of my batteries in the toilet i put my hand in and i can feel it but the hole it went through is to small to pull it out , how do i get it, i have a eljer toilet

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-14, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
In what hole the cap get stuck?

Is it the main drain, the big hole where everything goes when you flush? If so you may be able to get it out from the bottom if you remove the toilet. Unfortunately toilets traps are often larger in size than the holes at both ends. I've seen children shove rubber balls in and they are almost impossible to get out.

Many home centers and places with a good tool selection sell flexible gripper tools, some even have built-in lights. They are relatively inexpensive and very handy for grabbing things in odd location. With this you may be able to grab the cap from the top side.

Old 02-05-14, 05:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
When my kids were little they used to flush the toilet paper holder down the commode
Removing the commode, taking it out in the yard and back flushing it with a garden hose always removed it. You'll need a new wax seal when reinstalling the commode.

Old 02-05-14, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And new bolts.

Old 02-05-14, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
its the hole under the v i can feel that its their but its to tight the hole to get it. can i push it through with the toilet auger?

Old 02-05-14, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
If its the big hole where everything (poop) flows when flushing I'd say "yes" you might be able to push it through. It may be easier to remove the toilet and take it outside where you can have access to the bottom.

If the cap is in a smaller hole under the V where clean water shoots out during the flush cycle then I'd say "maybe". That hole leads to passages inside the bowl. Water flows down from the tank, through the passages to come out under the rim and the hole under the V. If you remove the toilet and remove the tank you may be able to turn it upside down, shake and turn the bowl until the cap falls out the big hole where the tank mates. You can listen for the sound of the cap sliding around to guide you but it will not be easy.

Old 02-06-14, 04:56 AM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
This reminds me of a toilet problem I had several years ago. My wife had unknowingly dropped a clear plastic lid, similar to a Pringles lid in the toilet. It acted like a slide valve. Sometimes it would close during a flush, other times it would stay open. I snaked that toilet several times thinking I'd fixed it. Only to find that several flushes later it would over flow. I tried everything including going on the roof and snaking out the vent pipes. I was at my wits end. Finally removed toilet and there it was lodged in such a way that it acted just like a valve opening and closing depending on the phase of the moon or whatever!