Toilet Flange change issue, suggestions please

Old 02-09-14, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Flange change issue, suggestions please

I am nearing the end of a bathroom upgrade for my daughter, today I started to change the toilet flange as the old toilet always wobbled slightly.

What I found was there is no wood around the drain pipe and the old flange was screwed into cement mix that had been used to fill the gap between the old flooring and the drain pipe.

My first reaction is cut back the old tile and flooring (1 1/2 inch think tile and cement) and install 1 thickness of 3/4 plywood and one layer of 1/2 plywood and lay new tiles but that would look really odd as we are trying to save the "old school" floor.

Is there another way to beef this up and have a nice secure flange without breaking away more original tile flooring?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-14, 10:22 AM
If I open up the ceiling below this toilet,
could I use stainless steel nut and bolts and clamp the flange between the floor boards, cement and tiles rather than the traditional screw the flange in to a wooden floor approach?

Old 02-09-14, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Well I aasume you bent the lead back and removed the brass flange???

If it was myself I would chip the cement away only up to the perimeter of the toilet... Install new wood in that section and reinstall the flange..

Install wood thick enough to retain floor level...

Changing the lead to pvc may be an option but depends how good you are with lead and your ability to lead/solder the flange back to the brass flange without burning a hole in the lead or cracking the lead when you peen it back....

Old 02-09-14, 10:51 AM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
I like what Lawrosa says. But to answer your question, Why Not? The stainless steel nut and bolt should work fine. As long as you're able to secure the flange firmly.

Old 02-09-14, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys,

I bought a flange repair kit, the 2 piece half circle parts to bolt from the bottom, but I am not sure there is enough meat right around the opening to really get a good grasp.

I think I will try your suggestion Lawrosa, since most of the 1.5 inches or so around appears to be masonry patch work right now anyway. Then if I am not certain of a solid mount I will go with something like this bolted in from the bottom side.

Jag Plumbing Products | Toilet Bowl Anchor Flange Kit | Home Depot Canada

lawrosa
Changing the lead to pvc may be an option
I plan on changing most of the cast iron stack to PVC when I change the lower bathroom late this year or next spring.

Old 02-09-14, 03:51 PM
lawrosa
Well I assume you bent the lead back and removed the brass flange???
Yes, I used a small ball been hammer and gently rolled the lead back up and pulled the brass flange over the top. That is when I realized there was nothing really solid to sink new screws in to.

I would like to change the cast stack, but only later when I redo the lower bathroom if at all possible.

Old 02-09-14, 05:47 PM
Lawrosa,

I picked up some supplies today in prep for the next step, but I believe these bolts stick out too far for comfort?

The lower picture shows the stainless wood screws I had bought before I started the job.

Old 02-09-14, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
That repair flange will not work IMO... If you can do it I say good luck..

You use this flange...

Old 02-10-14, 07:44 PM
lawrosa
That repair flange will not work IMO... If you can do it I say good luck..
You use this flange...
Not easy to find, I could not find one locally but managed to order one on Amazon.
That one looks deeper the Sioux Chief, what brand is it?

Thank you,