Can I trim new caulk to make it look better?

Old 02-09-14, 07:04 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I trim new caulk to make it look better?

I just re-caulked my tub/shower area, and it generally looks nice and clean, but I'd like to trim it in a few places. When I smoothed the lines with my finger, it spread out a little too much onto the tile in a few places. The "bead" in the joint is fine but the edges aren't straight.
I used a latex caulk, so I was thinking I could use a razor and a straight edge to score a straight line then scrape it off. Would this compromise the seal at all? I don't want to screw it up after all the work I did. Thanks.

Old 02-09-14, 10:41 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your talking about the tub to wall seam, that was suppose to be silicone caulking not latex.

Old 02-10-14, 05:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
That should work for removing the excess [a rag at time of application would have been better ] Use a little soapy water for a lubricant so you don't scratch the tile.

Old 02-10-14, 07:35 AM
R
Well, to respond to both of your replies... I said I used latex caulk, but, more specifically, I used DAP 3.0 for bath and plumbing sealant, which is primarily composed of something called trimethoxyvinylsilane. I'm no chemistry expert but its some kind of mutant caulk hybrid that has some properties of latex with the flexibility of silicone. I used it because it resists mold/mildew, dries quickly, and is easier to remove than silicone.
That said, it was a major pain in the a** to apply it neatly and uniformly. It was goopy and sticky, and my towels for wiping off any mistakes quickly became covered in the stuff.

Old 02-10-14, 10:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Next time, have a bucket of water handy to rinse your rag [I prefer a small sponge] That will help keep your rag and fingers cleaner. When using G.E. silicone you can do the same thing but you'd use paint thinner instead of water.

Old 02-12-14, 07:39 AM
Dow Corning 786 is an excellent sealant for bathtub/shower applications

Old 02-15-14, 01:56 PM
R
Well... to follow up on my original post, trimming caulk with razor blade = bad idea, at least for the caulk I used. When I tried to score the caulk along a straight edge, the razor would slide around the caulk like a bad figure skater on ice. And when I tried to scrape off any excess, sometimes I would dig too hard and wind up scraping off more than I wanted. Even when I managed to get a nice, straight line, it just didn't look right. I wouldn't recommend it.
So... I took all the new caulk out and started over. Infuriating. I bought a different brand of caulk, and this time the application was much, much easier and the new caulk looks great. I would not recommend DAP 3.0 as a bath caulk. Perhaps a professional might find it useful, but it caused me to waste a lot of time and energy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: