Toilet not flushing right

Old 02-14-14, 08:28 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet not flushing right

So about 3-4 weeks ago, I bought my first house (yay me!). As expected, as I lived in the house a few problems have arose that the house inspector didn't find or the problem didn't show at the time. One of those problems is that my basement toilet doesn't always flush.

The best way for me to describe the problem is thus; the toilet does work, it does flush completely, there are no problems. The next day, it doesn't flush. I try a plunger, I've used a toilet drain cleaner, no results. I'm about to call a plumber after this goes on for a few days and BOOM!.....it works just fine again. Few more days go by and the problem comes back.

I've tired a few other methods on it, like pouring boiling hot water down it for head height, and while it does seem to do a force drain, it still doesn't flush.

One thing to note; my girlfriend was using it, on one of the days it was working, and noticed that after it flushes, it had air bubbles coming up from the pipe after it flushed as it was refilling. Not sure if that means anything or not.

Old 02-14-14, 08:37 AM
G
[/I]Check the vent stack, you may have a blockage between basement and other floors.

Old 02-14-14, 09:09 AM
T
That is the section located under the toilet right? Meaning I need to remove the toilet itself?

Old 02-14-14, 01:59 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The vent stack is what goes up and protrudes through the roof. It lets air into the system.

I think you may have a clog down stream. The first flush fills the pipe and the second flush is too much for the already filled pipe. Then is slowly drains, which allows room for one more flush in the pipe, then the next overflows etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: