Slow Draining Toilet - Help!

Old 02-20-14, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow Draining Toilet - Help!

So we had a backed up toilet that seemed to be the result of a clog. Tried plunging and some waste was coming back into the bowl. Finally seemed to resolve this with a toilet auger, and the toilet now flushes properly, however there now seems to be a slow leak.

When we flush the toilet, all seems fine - the water empties and the bowl fills up to a normal level. After 30-45 mins though, the water level is much lower and eventually it empties completely to the point of it being bone dry.

Any idea what this could be from? Could this be tied to the clog at all. I'm not a huge DIY guy unfortunately, but on the surface this seems almost like the opposite problem - went from a toilet that couldn't flush water down properly, to having one that now won't hold water.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-14, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
After 30-45 mins though, the water level is much lower and eventually it empties completely to the point of it being bone dry.

Any idea what this could be from? Could this be tied to the clog at all.
Hello and welcome to the forums...

You still have a partial main line clog somewhere. Could be anywhere, but enough that the line is clogged up all the way to the toilet vent...

When the vent gets blocked and the water in the clog partial clog slowly drains, it siphons the water from the toilet..

You need to pull the toilet and snake the line. It may be as far as down out of the house somewhere. Roots, bellys, collapsed pipe...etc..

Best to pay the extra for a camera to be sent down too. This way you know what your dealing with..

Old 02-20-14, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and quick response - I never would have suspected a clog would be the culprit of the draining bowl. Will see if I can find the source of the issue I guess - hopefully it's nothing too serious or intensive.