Info on hose from dishwasher overflow valve to garbage disposal

Old 03-05-14, 03:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Info on hose from dishwasher overflow valve to garbage disposal

I might have a leak on a hose under my kitchen sink, that extends from the overflow valve from the dishwasher, down to the garbage disposal.

I'd like to try troubleshooting it, but I need some info. Is it meant to take water FROM the dishwasher, TO the garbage disposal? Sorry if this is a stupid question (I don't know, that's why I'm here).

Old 03-05-14, 03:27 PM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
hi paul Ė

Iím just a newbie myself but yes many dishwashers drain into the garbage disposal. One of the connections on the garbage disposal is in fact made just for a dishwasher connection. All your dishwasher water, in your case, drains into the disposal.

Iím sure if you describe where the leak is (or pictures are even better if possible) there are many people on this forum that can help.

Old 03-05-14, 03:31 PM
P
OK I suppose some water would be flowing into the garbage disposal, but I wouldn't say all, as some water (from the dishwasher) comes out that valve cap, down into a sink.

I am going to try to run the dishwasher and see if I can see a leak, as it is dry now but hasn't been in the past few days. If there is a hole in the hose (not near a clamp or near a connection, but in the middle of the hose itself), I suppose the best thing would be to simply replace it. The hose is at almost 20 years old, if not older.

Old 03-05-14, 03:56 PM
Z
paul I believe it sounds like you have an air gap. That device (i.e., the air gap) sits up on your sink and is on the dishwasher drain line. It's there to break any vacuum and to prevent dirty water from going backwards into your dishwasher.

I'm 99.9% sure in a properly operating setup water is not supposed to be draining from your air gap into the sink. In other words, ALL of the water should be draining into the garbage disposal.

I think that probably means your drainage is a little slow causing the backup and overflow out of the air gap. I think there are ways to check and correct that.

Maybe one of the plumbers/experts will chime in.

Old 03-05-14, 04:06 PM
P
I'm 99.9% sure in a properly operating setup water is not supposed to be draining from your air gap into the sink. In other words, ALL of the water should be draining into the garbage disposal.

Hmmm well I know I've seen water pour out from that metal cap down into the sink.

But at least, from what you're saying, water is/should be flowing down that hose into the garbage disposal. OK well that pretty much means that I'd have to run the dishwasher to troubleshoot. I can do that tonight.

Old 03-05-14, 04:07 PM
Z
Paul take a look at this video. You don't have to watch the entire video. The first minute shows the dishwasher draining with an air gap with blockage, the last minute shows the dishwasher draining after the correction.

How To Stop Dishwasher Leaking Water From Sink Counter Top Air Gap When Running Plus Draining - YouTube

Old 03-05-14, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
All water should go into the disposal if there is a hose connection to it. The "valve cap" you talk about is probably actually whats called an "air gap" and is required in CA AFAIK.

Most likely is that there is some buildup in the garbage disposal and the drain line connected to it.

If its a newer washer with an old hose...they may pump out at higher rates, causing a backup. Not sure about that...but I know it's true with clothes washers.

Pictures or drawings of the piping is always a big help.

Old 03-05-14, 04:12 PM
P
OK the guy on Zoesdad's video link said that water pouring into the sink is not optimal, and the sign of a clogged gap. I'll fix taht first, and then see if I can get a leak. Perhaps what I've thought was a leak, was simply water running down the length of the hose and then dropping when it reached the bottom level (before flattening out).

I'll fix what I know is wrong, and then see if that takes care of it. I'll also post/attach some pics if this doesn't fix it.

Old 03-05-14, 06:05 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The cap on the vacuum breaker will either screw off or snap off exposing the innards. If you can find a bottle brush with a long handle (or cobble up a long handle) then you can push it through from the vacuum breaker, through the connecting hose, all the way into the garbage grinder. Once in the grinder proper you can then pull it back out. Do this a couple of time to cleanout the vacuum breaker and the hose to the garbage grinder and all should be well as long as the hose is not damaged and leaking below the sink.

If you cannot find a brush then you will have to remove the hose from the vacuum breaker and the garbage grinder for cleaning or replacement. THAT may be a tough job because of the location.

Old 03-05-14, 07:15 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, I have cleaned out those hoses with a wire. Bend the wire back on itself on the end so the end is round. Check uder the sink and make sure the hose has no sharp bends or kinks.
Woodbutcher

Old 03-05-14, 07:26 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm sure that you are doing this, but just in case - be sure to run cold water into the disposer, with it running, before you run the dishwasher.

Old 03-06-14, 06:48 PM
P
In the pics, you can see the view from the top and from the bottom.

In the upper pic, I have taken the metal cap off, and then screwed off that white plastic piece. I'm not sure if I should tug the blue fitting off as well, or try to cram a brush down that narrow tube in the blue plastic.

In the lower pic, the white hose on the right leads down to the dishwasher. Water goes up that hose; the black hose on the left side leads down to the garbage disposal.

OK now I'm beginning to see that the underside has blue plastic as well---most likely the same blue plastic in topsink---which leads me to believe that trying to pull it off wouldn't help me out too much. But I think the brush I bought today at Home Depot would be too big.

OK based on these photos, any suggestions? Push a brush down through that blue plastic tube?

Attached Images   
Old 03-06-14, 07:35 PM
Looking at the bottom photo, the flow from the diswasher is pointed straight up to the AAV (Air Escape Valve) which is why you're getting water in the sink. The water cannot possibly drain down the black hose to the dishwasher quick enough. You need to modify the hoses so that the dishwasher hose runs into the garage disposal, with another hose running up to the AAV. That way the water will flow out the garage disposal into the drain.

Old 03-07-14, 02:21 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The air gap will have two different sized hose connections. The smaller connection goes to the dishwasher and the larger connection goes to the garbage grinder. Make certain the hose to the garbage grinder is clear and does not have any kinks or tight bends. It should be a short and smooth bend from the air gap to the disposal connection.

Old 03-07-14, 08:09 AM
T
Not an expert - but make sure you have the connections correct.

Bellingham Home Inspections (King of the House) -- Dishwasher Air-gap Device

Old 03-07-14, 02:26 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi The black hose or the air gap is restricted. You have to find the port in the air gap that the black hose is connected to. Pour some water and see if it drains. Maybe the blue thing pulls out. I use to clean out the big hose from the top of the sink so I know the ports up there somewhere.
Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: