Installed new shower ystem, now hot water does not work in other bathroom

Old 03-06-14, 06:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installed new shower system, now hot water does not work in other bathroom

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help out with this very strange situation...

I am currently replacing an old one-knob shower system with a new Moen Adler shower system. After soldering all connections and checking to ensure no leaks, I noticed the water did not get hot in my other shower that night. Only luke-warm. The water going to the kitchen sink gets as hot as ever, but no hot water to the guest bathroom at all. I have not yet installed the shower head and other parts to the new shower yet because i'm waiting to lay the floor pan mortar first.

Another strange finding: When i try to get hot water in the guest bathroom it gets warm but only until someone in the kitchen turns on the hot water to the kitchen sink. Then the water in the guest bathroom goes cold (kind of like that old gag on sitcoms and cartoons when someone flushes the toilet and the shower water goes cold). If i turn the cold water on in the guest sink, the hot water works in the guest shower. Any idea whats going on here?

There are no leaks in the new bathroom system that would be diverting the hot water somewhere elsewhere. If it helps, the two bathrooms share the same wall with each other but I am not sure what piping they share together. I do notice a slight pressure drop when two people tried to take showers at the same time in the past, but that might be normal?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-06-14, 07:53 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Did you cross a line somewhere? Is the water in the toilet hot? I've seen it happen.

Old 03-06-14, 08:04 PM
Reminds me of my shower plumbing work this past summer. When I had finished the tiling, and turned the shower water on, only a trickle of hot water would flow. After checking the internet, I suspected that too much glue (CPVC pipe) got down in a joint. Sure enough, after opening up an adjoining wall and removing the suspected joint, it was clogged by glue. Maybe you got too much solder in a joint.

Old 03-06-14, 09:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How would too much solder affect the second bathroom?

Old 03-06-14, 11:22 PM
A
Too much solder in a tee junction is a good thought, though the other bathroom runs off of separate water pipes and there are no tee junctions connecting the two bathrooms.

I am starting to suspect that since i upgraded to two "new style" shower fixtures from Moen and nixed the old style that had about a foot of copper piping above the faucet valve for what i think is back pressure, that I may need to get one of those newer pressurizer systems that ties in with my water heater. It just seems odd that after getting rid of the old system in the other bathroom that i started having trouble in the guest bathroom, as if the whole system lost pressure because of those two one foot tubes above the hot/cold valves. Any thoughts on this?

I just did some more snooping around and the shower water in the second bathroom gets slightly warmer if i turn the cold water on in the sink of that same bathroom.

And no, the toilet water is not hot

Old 03-07-14, 08:36 PM
Those two one foot tubes above the hot/cold valves were for air to cushion against water hammer. But I don't know how their removal could relate to your current problem. But the fact remains, the problem (
the water did not get hot in my other shower that night
) started with their removal, and the new installation. What I would do next is remove the new mixer cartridge. Then I'd turn on the hot only to possibly blow out anything restricting the flow. And, if I could turn off the cold only in the guest shower, I'd repeat this there. Another test: while the mixer valve if off in the remodeled shower, try the hot in the guest shower.

Old 03-08-14, 09:44 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I still think that you created a cross over somewhere. Are the showers part of a tub/shower combo with a diverter It may sound strange but test the hot water with the diverter in both positions. See if there is a difference.

Old 03-08-14, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
If you have a test cap on the rough in for the shower during the build, you are basically creating the cross over mentioned by pulpo. Make sure the cartridge is installed and is in the off position or if you have shut off valves for the shower make sure they are in the off position.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: