Estimate on life of tank parts?

Old 03-09-14, 07:29 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Estimate on life of tank parts?

OK folks time to take out your crystal balls. I have a leak from the bolts that connect the tank to the bowl.... the innards are working fine. i have replaced both the flush valve and the fill valve several years ago. Not sure when, so let's say 5 years ago. All I really need to do is replace the bolts and make sure I get some good washers in there too.

Should I shell out more and get an entire kit, to replace everything? The flush and fill valves are working just fine in this tank. But is five years a point where they could go at any time?

The fill valve is a fluidmaster, the flush valve I honestly don't recall.

Old 03-09-14, 09:10 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your only talking about a $10.00 difference, your call.

Old 03-09-14, 09:27 PM
P
Correct its not the money its the time involved in replacing all that stuff (as opposed to some bolts and washers), that's all. I'd rather not do it unless there was a pretty good chance that one of these items would wear down in the near future.

Old 03-10-14, 04:14 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Buy two tank-to-bowl bolt kits. Evacuate the water from the tank, remove the supply line and remove the tank and bolts. Install your new bolt system like this from top to bottom...rubber washer, metal washer then bolt. From under the tank install another rubber washer and metal washer and nut. Tighten snugly. Now your tank is autonomous from the bowl and will not leak. Place the tank on the bowl and use a metal washer and nut to attach the tank to the bowl. Don't over tighten.

Old 03-14-14, 01:43 PM
P
I just realized that I will also need to put in a new wax seal. After seeing mineral deposits on the fill valve, I just decided to do the whole thing and put in new fill and flush valves, while this toilet is all taken apart anyways.

Old 03-14-14, 09:50 PM
J
What's a wax ring got to do with mineral deposits on the fill valve?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: