Toilet Water Very Low afer Windy night - fix or will it fix itself?

Old 03-12-14, 06:17 PM
Toilet Water Very Low afer Windy night - fix or will it fix itself?

We had a very gusty night where wind speeds were 20-30mph.

I noticed the water in one of the toilets was very low. I understand this happens when there is are strong winds due to the pressure with the vent on the roof.

I flushed it and it's now the water level is back to normal.

Now my question is : will it stay back to normal or do I need to call someone to look at the vent even if it stays normal?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-14, 09:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Something else is wrong.
No way is a little 30 MPH wind going to effect the water level.

Old 03-13-14, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
It happens...tho that kind of wind is a little low. If it was steady 30mph with 45-50 gusts, then maybe. On windy days here I can watch the water in the toilets here bob up and down.

Old 03-13-14, 08:33 AM
On windy days here I can watch the water in the toilets here bob up and down.
Well why don't you move your toilets inside? (LOL LOL LOL)

(Don't mind me - too much coffee today.)

Old 03-13-14, 10:21 AM
I assume you are talking about the water in the toilet bowl. This level is reset every time you flush. I would be surprised that the wind on the roof is sucking out your water in the bowl, but easy to confirm. If it is something else, it should suck it out on non windy days as well.

Now that being said, if it was my toilet, I would certainly try to look up from the floor below, if you can, and see if you see any leaking etc.

And again, I am assuming you are talking about water filling to the correct level in the bowl and then disappearing over time. If the water is not filling in the bowl, as the tank fills up right after a flush, then that is definitely another problem.

Old 03-14-14, 02:01 PM
Hi All. Thanks for the help. Yes I mean water in the bowl, not the tank.

Well after the windy day and that one low water level, it's fine now since the windy day has passed.

Maybe there was some sewer work going on that day too? I'll keep an eye out to see if there is anything else going on.

Old 03-14-14, 02:09 PM
Upvotes Received: 40
As Gunguy stated, this is a common thing to happen. Most people would not notice it. I have noticed it very often on windy days. Not sure why, but I think its due to movement from the main sewer line being disturbed where it empties. Water tends to "communicate" actions over a very long distance. Much like an earthquake in the depths of the ocean can trigger a tsunami thousands of miles away.