Low flow rate: Possible that valve not opening completely?

Old 04-11-14, 01:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low flow rate: Possible that valve not opening completely?

I'm still in the process of troubleshooting my low flow rate issue in my bathtub. The flow rate is extremely low, from both the hot and cold side. Every other fixture in the house has a great flow rate, including the two sinks in the same bathroom. It's so bad that we will start my daughter's water for her bath, eat dinner, then when we are done her bath will be filled. This house was built in 1986 and we moved in just a few months ago, so the problem has been present the entire time we've been in the house.

My new theory is that the valves might not be opening all the way. The handles for the hot and cold are half-turn, meaning that it only takes a 180* turn to go from off to full on. I'm no plumber so I'm not well-versed on the valves and stems and how they all work together, but is it possible to install 180* handles on a valve that needs a few full turns to open? I'm thinking that the valve is the type that needs a good 3-4 turns to completely open but the handles are just stopping after 180* of turn. Is this possible?

Old 04-11-14, 05:15 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Too many types of valves out there to really know which one you have. Pictures would help us determine if it is a cartridge that needs replacing or something else. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-11-14, 05:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
First I would try turning off the water to the house. Open a faucet to relieve the pressure. Then remove the knobs, cartridges and diverter valve for the problem faucet and inspect for some type of obstruction.

Old 04-11-14, 05:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do you mean the hot & cold faucet handles aren't opening or the valves in the cellar?

Old 04-11-14, 06:51 PM
B
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not 100% sure I'm using the right terms, but when you turn the handle to turn on the water, that handle turns a valve of some sort (not sure if it's called something else). I'm just wondering if it's possible to have a 180* turn handle but have a valve that needs several turns to open. Are the handle and valve two separate entities?

Old 04-11-14, 07:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Let's call the hot & cold controls that are in the tub, the faucet & all other controls, valves. Is it the faucet that isn't turning all the way?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: