PL Premium for use on acrylic tub and tiling flange

Old 04-23-14, 09:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PL Premium for use on acrylic tub and tiling flange

I have a new tub, but it did not come with a tiling flange. I bought a separate tiling flange from the manufacturer (Maax). I have included a picture of the install document for the tiling flange in this message.

The people at Maax stated that I could use PL Premium to adhere the tiling flange to the tub itself. On the PL Premium tube though, it lists that it is "not recommended for polystyrene tub surrounds, polyethylene, polypropylene or for applications requiring water immersion." I called the lePage PL Premium 1-800 number and asked if I could use it on an acrylic tub, and they said it was fine.

So I am pretty sure that since Maax and lePage both stated that it is okay to use on the acrylic tub, that I'm covered that way. However, I have some concerns with the actual tiling flange itself, as I don't know what type of plastic it is made of. I checked the packaging and it doesn't list the type of plastic. So what I have done is put some PL on a waste bit of the tiling flange (I had to cut some off to make it fit my tub perfectly), and attached a piece of wood to this piece of tiling flange. The lePage 1-800 number said that the PL will simply not adhere to the types of plastics that it was not recommended for. So I figure that I can see if it sticks, and if it does, I should be good to go.

Does anybody see anything wrong with this line of thinking?

Old 04-23-14, 10:13 PM
J
Update: The PL Premium did not stick to the tiling flange, it peeled right off. Turns out you can't trust 1-800 numbers, lol. Who woulda thought eh? Good thing I did a test before going ahead with this and having to remove PL from my tub (as it would have stuck to the tub, but not the tiling flange).

I think I am just going to use silicone underneath the tiling flange, as that seems to be a common way to do this on the internet. I can't really think of a better way. Really wish my tub had an integrated flange, so I didn't have to deal with this.

Old 04-24-14, 06:56 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Is your tub going to have a shower associated with it? If so, I would be very nervous about proceeding with this configuration. It will leak over time. If you are just doing a drop in tub, less worries as you can handle occasional splash. Either way, you are relying on a bead of sealant to keep your wall cavity dry. Doesn't take much of a crack to let water through.

Old 04-24-14, 11:43 AM
J
Yeah, I am planning on using it as a shower, thus my concern. The more I read about this, the more it concerns me.

I called a tiling place where I know the owner, and he recommended Wedi join sealant to attach the tiling flange to the tub. He claims that the Wedi sealant doesn't break down over time like silicone does. Have you (or anybody reading this) used Wedi joint sealant before? Does it really not break down over time like silicone does?

Old 04-24-14, 04:03 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Unfortunately, I have not used Wedi joint sealant. I have used a Kerdi "similar" membrane that used a specific sealant for use with linear shower drains. Here is a link to the brochure, PROLINE Drain Product Description and Brochure

Their sealant stays quite flexible and tacky, if I was in your situation, I would feel more comfortable using this in your than a silicone. However, like everything that is good in this world, take out a second mortgage, the sealant is not cheap. Plumbing supply houses should be able to special order it for you.

Old 04-24-14, 06:13 PM
J
Turns out that life isn't so simple, and the Wedi sealant doesn't stick to acrylic either. Turns out that pretty much nothing sticks to acrylic actually, other than silicone which isn't very good for the aforementioned reasons.

I think I'll use the Wedi system for the tub surround though, it's pretty slick and can have me tiling in a few hours, as compared to a few days with standard cement board and Red Gard (which needs 3 coats and takes freaking forever to dry).

I have actually bit the bullet and bought a new tub with an integrated tile flange. I can't even take the old one back as it was a "final sale" item. I'll try selling it privately and consider this whole fiasco a "lesson learned". I figure it's a $750 insurance policy (cost of the new tub) on my bathroom not having water issues in 5 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: