Leaky Shower Faucet Stripped Screw Help!

Old 05-04-14, 05:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky Shower Faucet Stripped Screw Help!

Hey all so for months I have my shower faucet intermittently dripping, but as of yesterday I couldn't get it to stop leaking, and it is now dripping 24/7. It is a moen faucet, and I have a replacement cartridge, which I figured I would try to replace even though I never have before. (This shower is only 1.5 years old).

Anyways, I can't move forward with the project, because the faucet handle's screw must be stripped. The screw will turn, but it just turns in place. As a result I can't get the faucet handle off to work on replacing the cartridge. Does anyone have some advice? Please see the pictures. I could really use some help!

Name:  facuet2.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  18.9 KBName:  facuet1.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  10.8 KB

Old 05-04-14, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hello... No help really ecept you need to get the screw out. Although there is a plastic piece behind there that holds the handle on. Wiggle the handle as you turn and try to pull on tat screw somehow.

Worse case it possible to break it off and replace the plastic piece after. You would need to remove the screw from the inside...

here is a similar moen and it shows the black plastic piece..

I hope this helps...

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo5258_how-to-repair-a-single-lever-moen-faucet-for-a-shower-or-tub-and-adjust-the-temperature_school

Old 05-04-14, 05:32 PM
J
Yes I don't know what the problem is with that screw, but I'm nervous if I ask a plumber to come out he won't be able to get the screw out either and then I'm out an $80 service call fee and starting at step 1.

Old 05-05-14, 07:16 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Send a pic of it to Moen. They may send you a replacement shower body or whatever needs to be replaced, for free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: