1990 fiberglass tub maintenance

Old 05-23-14, 08:37 AM
1990 fiberglass tub maintenance

I have a Universal Rundle fiberglass tub & shower unit that I installed around 1990. Admittedly, for various reasons, it has suffered neglect over many years. It has a build-up on the floor of the tub that's pretty grungy...I don't know if it's soap scum, dirt, degraded fiberglass surface or a combination of those.

I decided that the time has come to try to rejuvenate it. I've tried cleaning it with just about every cleaner there is, and for sure, some that I shouldn't have used. Nothing worked. I noticed that when I scraped my fingernail on the bottom, the stuff came right off and the surface underneath is clean, shiny and smooth. So I carefully started a little experimental scraping with a soft plastic scraper, and the stuff is coming right off.

Here's what it looks like:

I'm a little nervous about messing it up, but it can't get much worse, I don't think. Once I get it cleaned up, what routine maintenance is recommended for fiberglass tubs?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-14, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Just routine cleaning (more than once a decade) and avoid abrasive cleaners.

Old 05-23-14, 06:25 PM
Ha! I definitely will have the time to look after it better now, thanks.

Old 05-24-14, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My tub has an aftermarket plastic tub surround. It was dingy when I bought the place and I couldn't get it clean When I met my wife, she cleaned it with a product called 'the works' and I was amazed that it brought it back to new looking condition Had she not been able to get it nice and clean, I would have replaced it with tile long ago ...... but don't tell her

Old 05-24-14, 05:43 AM
Thanks, once I get it cleaned up I'll give that a try. I was astounded though, that every cleaner I tried failed, and I tried many!

Old 05-24-14, 07:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's why I mentioned 'the works' it seems to work a lot better than any of the similar type cleaners.

Old 06-08-14, 02:37 PM
I'd like to echo the maintenance question with regard to any products or methods to keep on top of this crude buildup.
Ours is a 'Superior' branded plastic shower enclosure and we'd been neglecting it for about 18 months and with it's textured floor soap scum buildup was right heavy. So going down to the BiMart I got some Tilex Mold and Mildew remover, and a 3M Heavy Duty Stripping Pad (2).
Name:  Photo0096.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  32.1 KB

It took about 40 minutes by hand alternating between the spray and scrubbing but finally got the crud off the floor and a couple of inches above.
I remember seeing a Tilex Daily Shower Cleaner Cleaning Glass Shower Doors & Tile - Daily Shower Cleaner | Tilex® I wonder if this'll do the trick, maintenance~wise.

Last edited by Turbogus; 06-08-14 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 05:09 PM
"The Works"

I got it all cleaned up and tried "The Works", and I'm pleased with it. A quick clean every couple days now with it and that seems to do the trick for us.