Hot water reduced to trickle in shower - cold water works fine

Old 05-31-14, 07:46 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water reduced to trickle in shower - cold water works fine

I've seen a few similar threads but each has said the answer can be unique depending upon situation and brand.

- 3 handle setup - says "Central" on the hardware
- Hot water works fine everywhere else in the house
- No leaks along hot water supply line to tub
- Worked fine until today, although hot water handle required a little extra force to fully shut off and prevent drips
- House built in 1978, faucet could be original. No knowledge if maintenance has been done previously

Do I have a chance of being able to fix this without taking the wall apart?

Old 05-31-14, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Trickle same out tub spout?

rebuild IMO... Possible washer

Old 05-31-14, 11:17 PM
V
Yep, it's the same out the spout or the shower head.

When you say "rebuild" is that the euphemism for "rip open the wall and replace the whole 3 way valve?

Old 06-01-14, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator
No remove the hot stem and inspect the washers and seats... Could be debris of some sort..

once you do that you can figure what the next step is....

Old 06-24-14, 02:16 PM
V
Finally able to get home and look at this again.

I removed the stem last night and found one washer pretty much disintegrating. I looked inside the valve opening but didn't see any debris there.

Just to test, I put the stem back on (no washer) and tried the water. Still only comes out in a trickle.

Is there something else I need to do, or another way to check for problems?

Thanks!

Old 06-24-14, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Does it come out a tricke on the tub spout too? Or just the shower?

Its hot and cold or just hot?

Old 06-24-14, 07:35 PM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
As Lawrosa said most likely debris in the shower head and faucet strainer. Remove all shower heads and faucet strainers. Run the water to flush it out. Inspect the shower head. You might have to pull apart the shower head to get all tiny pieces out of holes or just buy a nerw shower. I just had this same thing to me about three months ago.

Old 06-25-14, 05:05 PM
V
Sorry for the lack of clarity.

It comes out as a trickle at both the tub spout AND the shower.

Old 06-25-14, 06:34 PM
See my previous reply!

Can you remove the tub spout and run the water without making a mess? Som tub spouts slip onto a pipe nipple.

Old 06-25-14, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Remove the center stem.... You have an issue there... Blockage... Loose washer....

Check it out and let us know....

Old 06-26-14, 03:29 PM
V
Wellll, got the center stem out. It was in pretty good shape, and I couldn't see anything in the valve opening. Of course, when I put it back in, I'm now no longer able to divert the water from spout to shower. Is there some kind of adjustment I can make on the center stem that may have been messed up during the removal?

Also, what can I try to run through the valve itself to see if there is a blockage / remove something that could be beyond the viewable area?

Old 06-26-14, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Remove center stem. Then turn on cold water. It will shoot out so dont get wet. That is the test to see if blockage.. Do same for hot.

I'm now no longer able to divert the water from spout to shower.

Im not familiar with the central brass diverter stem, but I would replace that stem....

It looks like a drum design. unlike gerber or price phister..

See here..

http://www.amazon.com/LASCO-01-9421-.../dp/B009XD3AAM

Now you have to ask is it better to spend money on this dinosaur or replace with a single lever???

Here is a 3 handle i removed and installed a single lever and goof plate....

Name:  0110140958-00.jpg
Views: 3094
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  0110141040-00.jpg
Views: 2958
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  0111141042-00.jpg
Views: 4193
Size:  23.7 KB

Old 06-26-14, 04:53 PM
Did you put the stem in upside down? Did you remove the shower head and run water through it?

I agree with Lawrosa, you have an obstruction some where. Does water run freely from the tub spout?

Post a few pictures of what you have. The spout (taken apart) the shower, an overall picture from a distance.

Old 06-26-14, 06:05 PM
V
Thanks for the continued quick responses, guys.

Didn't realize the stem could go in upside down - I'll have to check.

I'll post a couple pics when I'm able to get home and check it. The entire surround really needs an overhaul but unfortunately not in the budget right now due to multiple house needs happening at the same time.

Old 06-26-14, 08:52 PM
V
Don't have the pics available yet, but it's the exact 3 handle setup you linked below.

Removed center stem
- Turned on cold water: water shoots out (thanks for heads up)
- Turned on hot water: nothing comes out center hole, trickles out from tub spout

Removed hot stem, turned on hot water:
- Water does NOT shoot out hot hole - trickles out from here

So I'm guess this just got worse - that there's some sort of blockage in my hot water supply line? Confused as to how this could have been fine one day then inhibited the next?

Is there anything else I can do on my own to address this?

Last edited by volleydog; 06-26-14 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Could be a faulty valve at the hot water heater. Have you messed with that? Possible that valve has blockage....

Or any other hot water main valves...

Glad your making progress and trouble shooting...

Sorry Im not more help...

Old 06-26-14, 09:31 PM
V
All help is appreciated, thanks!

Every other hot water faucet in the house is working fine, including the sink in the same bathroom. It's only this one line experiencing the trouble - just not sure how to go about finding it

Old 06-26-14, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Removed hot stem, turned on hot water:
- Water does NOT shoot out hot hole - trickles out from here

Here is your answer..............

Old 06-27-14, 09:16 AM
V
Is there any way to determine where in the piping the blockage might be?

Old 06-28-14, 04:00 PM
V
Got that there's an issue with the supply, but can you tell me how to go about troubleshooting the line itself?
Or maybe this could be a blockage at the hot water shut off valve not functioning correctly?

Old 06-29-14, 06:43 AM
Can you drain water from your hot water tank? Say about a gallon or so? If the water flows out rapidly then the intake valve is OK. Do you have an outlet valve from the tank? I hope not. You should not. You say that all the other hot water taps work fine. Then your intake valve should be OK. From the tub faucet follow the hot water pipe all the way back to the the fist branch. Most likely a tee fitting or a valve. That will be where the blockage is most likely located. Between that point and your faucet the line is blocked. As a test, about several feet from the tee or valve cut the pipe and see if water flows. You'll need to solder in a coupling to patch it or use a Sharkbite fitting. If water flows from that cut, then your blockage is father down the line towards the faucet. If no or little water flows then its farther up the line towards to HW tank.

Perhaps I should've prefaced my comments and asked if your pipes are copper or steel . If steel and old , I'm betting the pipe is corroded to point that it has no opening left (I looked at the pics you posted, you have copper). Without re-reading the previous posts, I think you said you have a sink and toilet in the same room. They work fine. Probably the sink, tub and toilet are all being supplied by the same line. That means that the branching of the tub from the sink and toilet is the point of blockage. You might have to open walls to get to that point. After looking at the pics, I beginning to think your valve set is faulty (that's the body of the valve that the stem and cartridge goes into. If you don't have an access panel behind the tub then you'll need to remove the tile and open that wall and replace that valve set. I hope I'm wrong about my diagnosis.

If it gets to the point that you must remove the valve set and you need to take off the tile lets us know and we can walk you through it to make it easier and maybe save those tiles for reuse.

Old 07-01-14, 01:31 PM
V
Thanks for the reply. It's definitely copper piping.
If I had to bet, I would say the blockage could be at the shut off valve for the tub, but obviously no idea.
Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to go the plumber route due to time issues. Now just need to figure out what else isn't going to get done as a result.
thanks for all the assistance!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: