Toilet drain issue

Old 06-19-14, 08:12 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet drain issue

I noticed some water leaking at the base of my toilet when I flushed it. My brother removed the toilet and diagnosed a loose flange that was not securely attached to the drain/floor. He then created a cement mold around the drain to secure the flange to.
When he reattached the toilet with new wax ring, the toilet would no longer flush all the way. So, he routed the drain all the way to the sump pump where it came out. (It's important for me to note that my toilet is below ground in a garden unit) Water does go down if poured directly down the toilet drain and water will go down all the way if plunged. At this point, he diagnosed a broken toilet, but had to leave town.
He convinced me that I could swap the toilet out myself. I purchased a new toilet (American Standard Cimarron). Once installed, I had the same problem. Called my uncle (plumber in another state) and he suggested I needed a more powerful flush. Swapped out the toilet for a Kohler with Class Five flush only to experience the same problem. Worried about calling a plumber ($$$) only to find out I can solve the problem myself. Feeling pretty confident now that I've installed two toilets in a twenty four period
Advice?

Old 06-19-14, 09:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It's quite possible there is a problem with the newly installed drain line. It may not be vented properly or might not have slope/fall toward the sump.

Most toilets flush are totally driven by gravity. There is no "power" there to overcome a horizontal or uphill sloping drain line or to overcome the pressure buildup as a slug of water goes down the line if there is no vent to relieve the air pressure.

Old 06-19-14, 08:08 PM
C
Yes, I think that's my problem being underground. The drain line isn't new, just the flange around the drain was secured. Do you think that in that process, a vent may have been blocked? And if so, what should my course of action be?

Old 06-19-14, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Flange issue IMO... Hello and welcome....

What did he repair it with? There are too many variables here. We dont know what was done, but if a toilet leaks at base its often flange issues...

Old 06-20-14, 07:07 PM
C
Flange material

My brother used cement to create a more secure flange. His theory is that he created a seal that was too tight so no venting occurred. Also, he was wondering if there is any case where a Ptrap would be put under the floor in a basement scenario. Don't want to bust up the floor if not necessary.Thanks.

Old 06-21-14, 06:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You said the toilet drains to the sump pump. Where does the pump pump to? Is the sump pit open so you can see inside or does it have a lid with a lot of screws and everything is sealed? I am trying to figure out if that is a sump pit for ground water leaking in or if it is a sewage ejectment pit.

You said your brother "routed the drain all the way to the sump pump". What did he do? Did he install a new drain line/pipe or did he run a drain cleaning snake or drain auger through the line? In either case he would know whether or not there is a trap.

Old 06-23-14, 06:36 PM
C
Venting Issue

Thanks for your help! Turns out it was a venting issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: