Tub Spout Leaking

Old 07-03-14, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Spout Leaking

Looking for some help on a pesky leaking tub spout.

I have a push-on spout with held tight with a small lock nut. The diverter was stuck after years mineral build-up. In the past I used vinegar to loosen the rod and all was well. This time the diverter stuck in the up position and no amount of vinegar spray helped. I decided to remove the whole spout and soak the unit. After an hour or so, everything seemed back to working order. I slipped the spout back on the pipe and tightened the hex nut. When I turned on the water, I noticed a leak coming from the base on the spout near the hex nut hole. This happens regardless of whether the diverter is engaged or not. I removed the spout again and took a closer look at the rubber O ring which seemed okay. Nonetheless, I decided to buy a new spout thinking the O ring was bad.

I rubbed down the pipe and attempted to slip on the new spout but met some resistance along the way. I place a small amount of grease on the copper tube and tried again with success. I tightened the hex and turned the water one. I seem water again coming from the base of the spout. The water is not trickling down like the old but I can feel it with my finger which would quickly lead to a drip.

I am a bit lost at this point. ... I suspect I should not have any water near the base of the spout, correct? Perhaps I damaged the O ring on the new spout when I hit the initial resistance?? Any thoughts/advise is greatly appreciated - thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-14, 05:26 AM
Received 119 Votes on 109 Posts
Is dripping all the time or only when you run the water?

Old 07-04-14, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It only leaks when the water is running and it leaks regardless of where the water flows ... if the water flows to the tub, it leaks; if the water flows to the shower head, it leaks. Thank you.

Old 07-04-14, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
Probably the O ring as thats what makes the seal...