kitchen sink leak and rotten wood

Old 07-17-14, 03:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I detest hand tools when there is a powered alternative

Using the 2 tables should work, the main thing is to have both sides supported so it doesn't collapse as you are cutting it. The saw will be doing most of the work so you shouldn't have to push hard enough to slide the top across the tables. Or you could set the top on the floor with some 2x between the top and the floor and then use the skil saw. It will create more sawdust than a handsaw.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-14, 04:19 AM
I detest hand tools when there is a powered alternative
LOL. I used to feel the same way. Me and my father-in-law would argue over this when working together. But as I get older, a quality hand tool (and sharp) will always be my choice over a power tool if possible.

Old 07-17-14, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My grandfather was a carpenter and never owned any power tools. The only power tool he ever used was a table saw on the job. It had no safety features and he had the missing digits to prove it

He had a big collection of handsaws out in his shop. I wish I had them, not to use but to proudly display on my shop wall However I would use his hand planes if I had them.

Old 07-17-14, 03:09 PM
The handsaw worked!

Now, how do I cut a laminate sheet? With what tool? I mean not the countertop itself, but the plastic laminate part only? The sidesplash kit includes some boards that are to be assembled and 2 laminate sheets that are to be glued on these boards. The laminate sheets are wider than needed.

Old 07-18-14, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A laminate like formica? Normally when you buy a countertop and backsplash the formica is already glued on to the wood and a fine tooth saw is used to cut them to length.

Old 07-19-14, 01:29 PM
Can the faucet and the sink (and also the faucet and the backsplash) be located so close that they touch or almost touch at the base? The new countertop has a thicker backsplash and also the new faucet might be bigger as well. So there is not much space (please see the photo; the upper black line is the outline of the sink, the lower thinner line is the hole; since I don't know how the sink will "sit" in the hole, the sink and the faucet may be touching each other).

It is possible to move the sink hole away from the backsplash to create more room, but that would only gain 1/8 inch or so and I would rather keep sink in its original position to avoid modifying the support boards.

There will be no problem with opening/closing/swiveling the faucet. Is there any other potential problem with them located too close to each other that I have not thought about? What do you think?

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-14, 01:43 PM
PS: I actually can gain much more than 1/8 inch if I move the sink hole towards the front, but I would rather keep it at the old location if this doesn't create a problem.

Old 07-19-14, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remember I'm a painter and not a plumber but I don't think there would be any issues as long as there is clearance both above and beneath.

Old 07-29-14, 09:57 AM
Thank you very much for everybody's advice and encouragement! It wouldn't have been possible without you. Here is the result in the photos.

Attached Images    
Old 07-29-14, 01:54 PM
WOW! Looks good! ________________________________________

Old 07-29-14, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree !!! .................