Sounds like water is constantly running from main water valve

Old 07-06-14, 11:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like water is constantly running from main water valve

Hi there,

New to this website and forgive my ignorance as I am not at all handy...

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that there is a sound coming from the basement that is near my main shut off water valve....I first thought it was coming from the water heater and tried to sound it out to find out exactly where it was coming from...it wasn't the water heater but was the main shut off water valve.....when I look inside the water meter, I don't see the little triangle moving or the needle moving to indicated that water is being used....

I called the city and asked for any advice...the customer service rep said that you might have air in your pipes and to turn on all the taps starting from the basement and let them run for 5 minutes.....did that and didn't help...

There are no leaks from what I have seen in the house

There is one thing I noticed, water inside the actual meter, but was told by the CSR that it is normal and does happen...

When I put my hand on the pipe coming from the main shut off valve, it feels like water is running through it (but if this was the case, wouldn't the meter be running??)

I look at my water heater, there are no leaks that I can see, it is fairly old, technicians told me that it is old and can be replaced if necessary....when I touch the pressure relief valve, it is fairly hot (again I don't know if this is normal??)

The pipe that is coming to the water heater (cold one) has the same feel like water is running through it

I don't know what else to do, or could my water heater be the source of the problem??

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-14, 07:47 AM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
There was a very similar post recently about the same hard to find leak with the same type of symptoms.

You have leak or running water some place. Turn off the main water supply to start and listen for water or vibration. I assume it will stop. Turn back on and then methodically start turning off valves at various locations. You might start at the HW tank. Check you toilets for leaking flapper valves. You may not always hear it at the toilet. Put in some blue or green food coloring (don't use yellow )in the tank and see if it leaks into the bowl. Let us know what you find and we go from there.

Old 07-07-14, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
If you hear water running but the meter is not moving, then I would suggest a leak from meter to street. The sound is probably resonating.

Have the city turn off the water at the street to see if it stops.

Also look outside for wet areas..

Old 07-07-14, 06:21 PM
S
Thanks for the quick responses guys!!

What an awesome forum...wish I joined earlier

When I turn off the main water shut
Off valve....the noise is less but I can still
Hear the sound of water running??

Any thoughts now??

I don't even know where the city has
The valve connected to my house from
Outside....don't see any leaks anywhere outside
Of grass that looks darker

Old 07-08-14, 04:23 AM
The town will come over with a metal detector and find it.

Old 07-08-14, 10:05 AM
S
the city is coming tomorrow morning....I found where it is...didn't know it was that pipe that stood out on the driveway...

Amazing how the city denies that there might be a problem from outside

Got to love customer service!!

Let's see what happens

Old 07-08-14, 03:05 PM
If the leak if found to be on your property (or branching from the main supply from the street) you're still on the hook to fix and pay for it.

Old 07-09-14, 06:22 PM
S
City came today and turned off the water....the noise stopped inside....the guy that turned it off said he can hear it and feel it while turning the tool that turns off the supply at the street....

A couple of things he said...first he was going to call his supervisor and have them basically excavate the part on the driveway...take a camera down to see....then he told me that they actually are going to get a guy to come in with a device that listens for sounds to pinpoint roughly where it is

He was a nice guy from the city and was being honest....he said it sounds like its not too far from your actual shut off valve

I've called insurance companies anonymously just to find out if it would be covered and they said no (wasn't surprised)...only unexpected leaks like a pipe bursting inside.....Isn't that the same thing with what's happened to me?? How would I prevent that from happening...

Your insights and professional advice would be apprectiated based on your experiences...

I'm praying that the leak is not coming to the house and is the city's side...

Otherwise, I'm assuming this will be a very expensive job....

Not a good start to summer so far

Your thoughts are appreciated on approximate costs if its not too far from the main valve...this house is only 11 years old so can't understand how this would of happened in the first place

Old 07-09-14, 06:43 PM
It doesn't sound good for you. It's just one of those things that happen! You can't prevent it or expect it. But insurance won't pay for it because it is considered a maintenance type of item. No different than any valve or fixture failing within the home. Can't guesstimate cost. Depends on where your located and the going rate in your area. Did the guy say that anything on the house side of the valve (on the driveway) is your responsibility and the opposite side of the valve is the city's? I always thought that anything branching off the main from the street to the house is the homeowners responsibility.

Old 07-09-14, 10:33 PM
S
Thanks Norm201, I actually live in Toronto, Canada...not sure how different it is in where u are from...

Over here, the actual shut off from the city is located on the driveway, anything in front (meaning towards the house) is considered my responsibility....he's painted it blue and put a blue arrow on the sidewalk to indicated which way the pipe is going I guess..

My actual shut off valve is in the basement very close to a drywall, which I'm assuming will have to be torn down, a long with a temporary carpet that was placed on top of laminate for the kids will also have to be taken out....

Let's see when the city guy comes, watching youtube videos has made extremely edgy to say the least in terms of damage...this noise started I would say about 2 weeks ago....don't know how big or how small the leak in the pipe is.

Old 07-10-14, 04:40 AM
smb_yyz,

This is one of those unfortunate and unforeseen life incidences. The only consolation I can offer is that you're not the only one to go through this. Find out if the municipality contracts out for the euipment and labor or if you have a chance to get bids from others. You might be able to reduce cost.

Old 07-13-14, 10:49 PM
S
Well the guy with the sound equipment came in on Friday, he hooked some weird looking contraption with an antenna to the street connection and also attached something similar to the main shut off valve inside the house.... he had some sort measuring stick on a wheel where he was listening for noises as he ran in it along the concrete in the basement....The water heater was running so don't think he was able to get a good sound...

Anyways...he went back outside and went back and forth a couple of times and determined that the leak is coming from the street connection (you don't know how happy I am)....he said keep in mind that he is accurate within a couple of feet....he said he could hear it when he attached the same tool they use to turn the water off (but he wasn't turning it off)....so apparently the city will come with some big vacuum and suck all the dirt around the area out after making a cut in the asphalt...they will see exactly where the leak is,,, but for sure he told me its not in the house.....sigh of relief....

waiting on the city now and timeliness....

Old 07-14-14, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I had a leak like that that my neighbor told me about. His driveway was getting wet. We traced it back to a leak in front yard. Leaking in front following pipe into crawl space , across the house to a drain pipe in back out to neighbors .Leak turned out to be about 6 feet from foundation.

Old 07-14-14, 07:48 AM
smb yyz,

Glad it's working out for you. Maybe you can take a few pics as they do the work and post so we can get look at what's going on.

Old 07-23-14, 06:31 PM
S
Smile Finally Fixed

Well the city came today with the whole platoon it seems....a truck that I've never seen before....spray cans with arrows on grass...sound equipment....gravel trucks....

The guys started by cutting around the shut off valve from the city engulfing it in a square...once the square was cut...they used picks of some sort to lift the old asphalt off....once that was done, they brought a long wand with a pressure washer like contraption and attached a big vacuum sucking the dirt out into the truck.....they did this for about 3 hrs!!!

They eventually got to the bottom of where the main pipe is that connects the city line to my house....there was a leak through one of the pipes (On the city side!!)....the eventually replaced it...they poured gravel through to seal the cut and 8 ft drop into the ground as well

However, when they told me to check the water in the house, there was not enough pressure, so they told me that dirt must be stuck in the pipe somewhere and they will have to use compressed air to get it out. They kept doing this and eventually the pipe cleared....they had to suck the original gravel back into the truck so they could access the pipe again....after everything was working they poured gravel back into the pit and covered it....the city will come sometime this week to pave it smooth to original condition...

It took them literally the whole day from 10-5pm roughly....wow!

I must say they did an amazing job and were very courteous, not what I was expecting from the city..

Hopefully, I don't have to write another thread on this again