Kitchen Sink Extremely slow Drain

Old 07-07-14, 02:24 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Sink Extremely slow Drain

Hi All,

Been reading the forums for some time, but this is my first post.

So the issue I'm having is a single kitchen sink that drains extremely slowly.
The sink drain and p-trap was installed by myself. but the rough in was done by a plumber. Also to note is that this is in a Condo.

I've attached a picture for reference.

Picture description:
  • Behind the coupler (which connects the copper to the brass ), there's two 45 degree bends that connects to the building's main drain line.
  • the cold water line is from the next cabinet over and is higher valve, closest to the left on the picture.
  • the dishwasher drain line is moved up high/to the side so it's not in the way.
  • within the coupler that connects the copper/brass pipes, the brass part is actually fitted within the edge of the copper one. (perhaps I should cut it shorter??)
  • everything is brand new, so nothing is clogged, as far as the parts within my unit up to the main drain line

I know this is a relatively simple DIY project, but I'm not sure why it just isn't draining! it's as though the water doesn't leave the bottom of the P-trap. after an hour or so the water will drain. but it doesn't take much to back up the sink.

There's also nothing in the sink at the moment, there isn't a strainer or anything.

And it appears my unit in the building is the only one with this issue so I don't think it is a venting problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Old 07-07-14, 04:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Is this a new installation? If not, have you pulled the ptrap and cleaned it out? What prompted the use of brass? I know that couldn't be cheap. PVC would have been just as happy. Your dishwasher must have a high loop on it to prevent back flow into the dishwasher. I am assuming the drain line at the bottom of the cabinet emerging with the braid is the dishwasher drain line and it loops up and is fastened at the bottom of the countertop.

Old 07-08-14, 06:54 AM
F
Yes, this is a new installation. So the P-Trap is clean and clear.

Brass is code in high-rise buildings in Ontario. They will not allow PVC in condos/apartments.

I haven't fastened the dishwasher drain line to make a high loop as yet. will that affect the drain? Especially in the position it is in the picture?

Old 07-08-14, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
How did it drain before you installed the p trap? Has it always drained slow?

Old 07-08-14, 08:23 AM
F
It drained fine before.

I'm renovating this condo and re-positioned the sink against the wall- so it's now actually a lot closer to the main drain pipe than it was before.

Could it be how I installed the coupler?

Old 07-08-14, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Yes possibly the rubber coupler. And the trap arm may be installed too far in. Cant see clear in the pic..

You should be using this type anyway. one that fits the tubular trap arm to 1 1/2 pipe out the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: