Moen Shower Valve Just Keeps Spinning and No Hot Water...

Old 07-08-14, 10:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moen Shower Valve Just Keeps Spinning and No Hot Water...

Hey everyone!

This is my first post and I have been reading the forums for the last hour or so, you all know your stuff

So here's my problem. My girlfriend has an old Moen shower valve (the kind that looks like a tear drop and you pull it out towards you to turn on the water, turn left and right for hot/cold) in one of her showers and it just keeps turning and there's no hot water.

I took it all apart and the screws aren't stripped so I know the handle is ok. Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know what the inside part is called so I'll post some pictures.

It looks like it's permanently fastened inside the wall... Hot water is fine everywhere else in the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Again, sorry if I'm not clear but like my name says, I'm just a fake plumber

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-14, 02:31 PM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
The center section you're referring to is the cartridge and is replaceable. That brass "U' shaped pin lifts out and you can then remove cartridge. The chrome tube in your last pic should prevent the handle to spin 360 degrees. Pull that out and then the "U" shaped pin will lift up and out. Then the cartridge slides out. If its very old it may be stuck with calcium and lime build up. A puller might be necessary.

You need a new cartridge. Any home improvement store will have it. DANCO brand is a third party supplier and is OK to use.

Old 07-08-14, 03:22 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Norm forgot to mention it but TURN OFF THE WATER SUPPLY before removing that U clip. If you accidentally leave either the hot or cold on and then remove the cartridge you will get the surprise of your life!

Also, I far prefer using genuine Moen cartridges rather than the Danco. You need a 1225 Moen cartridge.

Old 07-08-14, 03:55 PM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
Oh yea, turn off the water first.

It's the little things in life that count!

Old 08-26-15, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have this same valve and am looking to replace the trim hardware. Anyone tell me what type of valve this is so I know what type of kit to shop for?

Old 08-26-15, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi, Sounds like the handle is broke. Look at the inside of the handle the center hole should be the same configuration as the stem on the cartridge. Look close at the handle inside the handle there is a high part made of plastic something like high part on the chrome tube in your picture. those are the stops one should hit the other and stop the handle from turning.This is hard to explain but I can't recall a cartridge causing the problem you have. When you install the handle the flats on the stem in the cartridge should be left and right and the rounds top and bottom. the tear drop on the handle pointed up.
Good Luck Woodbutcher