Need to identify type of faucet

Old 07-12-14, 12:23 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to identify type of faucet

I recently moved to a place that has this type of faucet installed in bathrooms. Only markings that I can find are "UPC" and "CSA". They were poorly installed with rubber padding protruding from under the deck plate. I want to identify the faucet type so I can get replacement parts.

Appreciate the help.

Attached Images    

Last edited by yorkville; 07-12-14 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-12-14, 03:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
Older faucets like that usually take pretty standard washers. Take the offending part(s) to a plumbing supplier or home center and look for a replacement.

Old 07-19-14, 11:38 PM
Y
Sorry I found the brand name of the faucet. Once I clean off the dirt and grime with baking soda, the name "Glacie Bay" was clearly printed on the deck plate below the faucet. Still not sure where I can find the model number. Any ideas?

Glacie Bay seems to be carried by Home Depot. Is there a website where I can search documentation for past Glacie Bay product?

Another question: Should the black rubber cushion plate be visible after a proper installation? Looking at some of the picutures on home depot website, the answer seems to be yes. For example

Glacier Bay Builders 4 in. Centerset 2-Handle Low Arc Bathroom Faucet in Chrome-7032EC-A8101 at The Home Depot

My thought is that the rubber cushion plate should fit snugly inside the deck plate, so once installation is done, the black rubber parts are no longer visible.

Old 07-20-14, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Have you tried searching the Glacier Bay website?

That is a gasket to prevent water from getting under the faucet and dripping through to faucet mounting holes into the cabinet below. On many other brands it is made from a semi clear (milky) colored plastic which I think disappears from view better.

Old 07-20-14, 09:23 AM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
Glacier Bay is not a high quality unit. We sell in our store but I tray and steer customers away from it. They are considered a throw away unit.

Globe Union Industrial Faucet Company
Their website is globeunion.com.

I highly recommend you buy the best faucet you can afford to replace this unit. Try and get Moen or Delta. Even A Peerless is better.

Old 07-20-14, 09:50 PM
Y
Thanks much for the replies.

So it seems the black gasket showing around the base of the deck plate is the norm. I suppose I can live with that, or maybe look for a gasket that is clear in color.

I have two additional Glacier Bay bathroom faucets in the house. I think I have another issue here. As seen in the attached picture, the sink has rounded indentation built in, such that the faucet's deck plate is slightly larger than the flat part of the sink. So the upper left and upper right corner of the deck plate sit elevated. To make this worrk, I think the previous installer packed in copious amount of plumber's putty to make this water tight. To his credit, no leaks detected so far.

So to fix this, I think I have to toss the Glacier Bay faucet as there is no way the existing unit would fit. For replacement, I suppose I need to get a model with slimmer deck plate. Are there standard sizes that I can refer to, so I can get get something that would work with my sink for sure?

Attached Images   

Last edited by yorkville; 07-21-14 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 06:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, there is no standard for the plate size. You'll just have to measure your sink and start looking for something that will fit.

Old 07-21-14, 07:06 AM
If your sink is porcelain then use plumbers putty instead of the plastic plate they give you. If your sink is cultured marble then use silicone along with the plate to seal it.

Old 07-21-14, 10:23 PM
Y
I know putty stains marble sink, so using silicon instead. But what's the reason for not using the plastic gasket for porcelain sink? I always thought if there is a gasket, then no need for putty. If no gasket, then putty, except on marble sink.

Old 07-22-14, 04:31 AM
If the surface is perfectly smooth and level then the gasket will work. In most cases the plastic gasket isn't flexible or soft enough to conform to small irregularities in the sink surface or the faucet cowling.

Old 08-06-14, 09:33 PM
Y
Thanks for all the advices. I swapped out these faucets, but still had to go with another model of Galcie Bay as its the only model at my local Home Depot that is narrow enough to fit on the flat part of my sink.

Of course, echoing what Norm said about Glacier Bay's quality, I sure learned my lesson. With the two units I bought, one has pieces not aligned correctly, such that there is a hole when viewed from the front. Good I saw that when I opened the box. The other unit has a messed up thread that would not connect to the supply line. I did not discover the thread problem until I put everything in, and ready to connect up the water as the last step. Overall, I made two extra trips to Home Depot to make the necessary exhanges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: