shower drain concrete slab issue

Old 07-15-14, 05:10 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shower drain concrete slab issue

I have attached a picture of a hole that we have in our concrete slab in our bathroom. [ATTACH=CONFIG]34819[/ATTACH]

I've just taken out an old ceramic shower from my bathroom and will be installing a new walk in shower over this area with the hole. The hole is about a foot and a half square. We'll be using one of those pre-fab shower bases like KBRS and then tiling over it (the shower base will be about 3.5 feet by 5 feet.

My question is, do I need to fill in this hole with new concrete or will the shower base be solid enough that it can rest on the existing concrete without a problem.

If I do need to fill it in with concrete, what is the best way to handle the shower drain (which will be replaced)? I was thinking of installing the base of the new drain before pouring the new concrete and having it just above the level of the concrete (maybe a quarter of an inch) so that I can put in some self leveling material after and have everything flush.

Thanks

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...#ixzz37a6uBXUH

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-14, 06:06 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You will want to adjust your drain and trap to accommodate the drain location in your new shower base. The base itself will have installation instructions as to if additional support is needed underneath and how to prep the rough opening. I would go with a compressions type drain body that uses a large gasket that is put around the pipe and then squished down to form a seal.

Here is a video link to what I am describing - shower base install and connect drain install - YouTube

Old 07-15-14, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
FYI those shower pans your are using get set in thin set.. The thin set has to be modified..

Also you do not use the flange a czizzi shows. You need a 3 piece.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34837[/ATTACH]

You need to raise or lower the drain accordingly. after you get the right height then you will need to fill that hole.. But put a sleeve around the top because you will need to glue the flange to the pipe...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34838[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Old 07-15-14, 08:11 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Sorry, failed to follow the link to the shower bases. Assumed a standard acrylic or fiberglass base unit and tiled above. Forgive my errant recommendation - Thanks Mike!

Old 07-16-14, 10:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think this makes sense. So I would fill the hole, but put a sleeve around the pipe large enough that I can still slide the drain over the pipe but small enough that the drain flange could still rest on the newly poured concrete. Is that the right idea?

Old 07-16-14, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I would putt a 4" pvc pipe aroung it centered and fill woth cement..

Make sure 4" pipe is level with floor. Not higher. But before you do that you need to make sure the bottom of the flange will fit in the 4" pipe, or you will have issues...

You better dry fit everything first a couple times to make sure...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: