Rust between kitchen sink and laminate countertop

Old 07-16-14, 01:08 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rust between kitchen sink and laminate countertop

I think the caulk between the kitchen sink and the laminate countertop is failing. I am seeing rust, sometimes leaking out to the countertop. I am not sure if the existing caulk is silicon, latex or putty. I looked underneath, there does not seem to be water marks to be found on the underside. I think I need to scrap it out and recaulk. Any advice?

Attached Images    
Old 07-16-14, 03:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
Since it's to consistent around the perimeter I hope it's just water staining and sink gunk coloring the area. Have you tried removing the caulk from an area?

I would remove all the caulk and thoroughly clean the area really focusing on getting the staining off the sink. Then try a high quality white, solvent based caulk.

One thing I've found when caulking is if you go over the bead with your finger to smooth it out it looks good initially. Over time the very fine feathered edge starts to peal up and eventually looks ragged. If you've got the patience mask off both sides of the area with masking tape. I like to run the tape slightly closer into the corner than you'd think. Focus on getting the tape straight. You can pull it up and re-position it as needed until you get it right. Then apply the caulk and run your finger down. You want to feather the caulk over the tape. Let the caulk harden for 5 or 10 minutes then pull the tape off at a steep angle creating a nice vertical lip of calk at the edge.

Old 07-16-14, 03:40 PM
Y
What is a solvent based caulk? would that be silicon or latex based? Appreciate the help.

Old 07-16-14, 05:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Look for a caulk that does not say water cleanup.

Old 07-17-14, 02:07 AM
Y
That means silicon caulk, right?

Old 07-17-14, 06:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, I would probably pick silicone as it's commonly available at most home centers.

Old 07-17-14, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
While there are several different solvent based caulks, a clear silicone is what you'd want to use. I've never used tape when caulking but understand that it can be beneficial for some folks. Another way to say what PD stated is you only want to caulk the gap itself, not leave a bunch of excess on the surface of sink and top. A rag damp with mineral spirits can be handy for both cleaning up any errant caulk and your fingers/hand.

Old 07-17-14, 09:24 PM
Y
OK, I used a silicon caulk. But, even with the help of tape, I cant seem to get the edge nice and smooth while going around the corner. Some of the caulk seemed to get lifted and stretched as I removed the tape. Maybe I can score the tape with a utility knife before removing?

Old 07-18-14, 05:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Paint or caulk will form a bond with the tape so it's best to remove the tape while the caulking is still wet. When dry you need to cut the bond with a utility knife but I'd be a little leery of doing so as you might scratch the top or sink.

A clean rag damp with paint thinner draped over your finger can be used to gently tool the caulking.

Old 08-06-14, 09:46 PM
Y
Any advice on recaulking the backside of the sink? Its about 1.5 inch from the backsplash, I feel there is just no way to get a scraper or utility knife back there to cut out the old caulk.

Old 08-07-14, 05:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A pocket knife might be useful in removing caulk in hard to get to areas. The biggest issue would be applying the new caulking, sometimes the best you can do is get the caulking close and push it in place with a rag ..... and then clean up the mess.

Old 08-08-14, 05:36 PM
Y
I will try to small pocket knife. I don't see applying the caulk being much problem as I can use one of those small tube vs a full caulking gun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: