gray polybutylene repair

Old 07-23-14, 05:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gray polybutylene repair

Hi, our vacation home is plumbed with gray polybutylene and the hot water supply line to a bathroom sink has a slow leak. (I was told that chlorine is what destroys polybutylene and we have well water). It is leaking at a 90 degree fitting, apparently under the copper ring that secures the pipe to the fitting.
How should I repair this? Should I rent/purchase a 1/2" crimper and re-crimp the ring? Should I cut out this fitting and replace (with what)? Any other ideas?
I have removed the sink and drywall and have turned off the water.
Chandler or anyone else please help.
Bruce

Old 07-24-14, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Hey, Bruce, generally it was the application of the fitting that caused problems with PB tubing. Crimp tools weren't calibrated and it allowed leaking. The tubing walls are considerably thinner than today's PEX. Is the joint under the floor or in the wall, and how far is it to the stop valve to the sink? You may be able to cut out from that fitting forward, install a PB to PEX adapting fitting with rings via crimp method, and using PEX from that point to a new stop valve.

Old 07-24-14, 09:09 AM
B
Thanks for your reply Chandler. The stop valve is 4 inches downstream from the fitting in question and the fitting is in the wall. As I said in my og post, I have removed the drywall and the fitting is accessible.
Before I posted here I googled this and did see your suggestion to use pb to pex.
Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 07-24-14, 12:32 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do a Google search on "Quest recall".
That material and the fittings as a dismal failure and has cause many a home to flood from it failing.
Some banks will not even lend money on a home with it and insurance company's will not insure it if they find out about it's that bad.

Old 07-24-14, 03:35 PM
B
What would you have me do, replace it all?
Our cabin was built in the 80's and this is the first plumbing problem. Like I said in my og post, Chlorine is what makes polybutylene fail.

Old 07-24-14, 04:14 PM
Ideally, replacing PB is the best solution, but since it is a cabin and not used exclusively as a permanent residence, AND since you turn the water off when you vacate, the repair may suffice. I'd keep an eye on possible leak situations, especially around fittings, and repair as soon as they rear their ugly heads. An eventual re piping to PEX would be in order.

Old 08-03-14, 01:24 PM
B
I've finished the repair and everything looks good. Thanks Chandler!

Old 08-03-14, 01:43 PM
Glad it worked out..............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: