Non-Removable shower valve, possible?

Old 08-06-14, 09:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Non-Removable shower valve, possible?

OK so my issue that I am having is, the hot water is a continues stream out of the faucet. I just thought this should be a simple valve replacement and should be fixed. So I removed the handle and shroud and attempted to unscrew the valve stem with a shower socket, I tried and tried and tried and got nothing. so I looked in the access panel in the closet and it appears that the valve stem and such it a one piece design. I tried removed the outer collar on the stem and that got me no where. I have no seen or heard of a unit like this before, I am not a master plumber but know a decent amount.

The house was built in the 1920's and I believe the bathroom was redone in the 50's sometime. I know not the make and model of the shower fixtures

I have included pictures to help, any ideas or advise I will gladly accept as I am out of ideas
Name:  IMG_2024.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  17.3 KBName:  IMG_2025.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  32.1 KBName:  IMG_2026.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  39.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-14, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Since you have access to behind the unit, have you considered a total replacement with a modern fixture? Drawbacks to that?

Old 08-06-14, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Replace it... This would be your best option. There are a few brands. Here is a kohler.

KOHLER Wall-Mount 2-Handle Valve System for 8 in. Centers-K-302-K-NA at The Home Depot

Here is wally world special...

Price Pfister Bedford 2 Handle Shower Valve Body: Plumbing & Fixtures : Walmart.com

Oh and welcome to the forums......

Old 08-06-14, 02:19 PM
Awesome thanks for your input and thanks for the welcome :-) I was thinking complete replacement was going to be what was needed and honestly the better option. Thinking of maybe switching to a 3 handle system and moving the diverter to a handle vs the pull up on the facet, any reason why that would not be advisable?

Old 08-06-14, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
The pull up rod on the spout does the same thing. Forces the flow to find another path (up, instead of down). I think the valves are a little cheaper too maybe? A little fancier look I guess, but the pull up has been used for a long time and works fine.