Shower drain cover area disintegration

Old 08-06-14, 11:59 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain cover area disintegration

The plastic drain hole cover in my tiled shower floor had come loose and when I removed it the concrete around it had disintegrated. If I put fresh tile grout around it and push it back into place will that be sufficient to use again? I don't really know what else to do with it but the man in Mitre 10 filled me full of dread!

Old 08-06-14, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Karin, welcome to the forums! Not sure what plastic cover you are referring to. Could you post a picture or two of the problem area so we can see what you are seeing? Thanks. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-07-14, 01:42 PM
K
Hello and Thank you...I am not good with cameras but its the only drain hole cover in the floor of the shower, The little round white plastic grip / cap that stops things from falling done the shower drain pipe in the floor...it was loose and falling in the hole.... The cement around it has all disintegrated. I put the grout around where it come out butnow it wont sit flush with the floor tiles again, and I dont know whether I need to take all the tiles up, or get a plumber or whether what I have done will do...or what to do really. Do you want my phone number? That might be easier

Old 08-07-14, 01:50 PM
K
The white plastic Grid, not grip. I took some photos but it says they are too large - I dont know how to make them smaller

Old 08-07-14, 01:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Old 08-07-14, 01:58 PM
K
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1407441313
on this one you can see the ready mix grout stuff the Mitre 10 guy told me to get in the tube bottom left corner

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1407441299 this is the problem, the white plastic grid was falling in....is this grout fix up job going to be OK to use the shower again, please? Or will all the newly applied grout just fall in down the drain and cause a problem?

Old 08-07-14, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I hope the others will chime in on this, but it appears whoever built this shower used an in floor drain to allow water to exit. There is no ptrap. Only the floating ball. How it prevents gasses from entering the bathroom is a guess. How long ago was this installed? What is a Miter 10?

Old 08-07-14, 02:28 PM
K
the house is 7 years old its a Scott park home. Everything here seems to have been done on the cheap! what do I do now then?
Mitre 10 is a store where they sell home fix up supplies, like Bunnings but smaller

Old 08-07-14, 03:54 PM
K
I am guessing I cant be the only person to have had this....what did the others do I wonder? Grateful for advice. I'd go back to the builder to complain...but I think its to late now, it has to be within 6 years?

Old 08-22-14, 09:17 PM
K
can anyone help? the plaster is still wet and I dont know why / what else to do....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: