Water Leaking via 1st Floor Bathroom (sink leaks)

Old 08-21-14, 09:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Leaking via 1st Floor Bathroom (sink leaks)

Hi,

I just had 2 new skylights put in yesterday. It rained overnight. This morning, when I got into the 1st floor bathroom (not upstairs bathroom), there is a puddle of water right under the ceiling vent.

Looks like water went right through the vent.

Any ideas of what is happening ?

Old 08-21-14, 09:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
You have a leak. You'll have to do some investigative work to find the exact source but since you recently had work done on the roof that's a good place to start.

Old 08-21-14, 09:58 AM
D
The leak is around the vent fan to the bathroom ? Is there a pip on the roof to the vent fan in the bathroom and that needs to be sealed ?

Old 08-29-14, 05:44 AM
D
Hi,

The guys came back and installed a flash on the vent pipe. Now, the very next morning, when I use the sink in the bathroom, the water is leaking via the sides of the bathroom vent. Not from the inside, but from the sides.

The water doesn't drip when I just turn the water on. But I need to put the stopper on in the sink and let the water accumulate. Then when I release the water, the water starts leaking. Not a lot, but enough to wet a mop.

Do you know if this is related to them working on the vent pipe on the roof ? Could they had cracked it and this is affectbg the bathroom sink upstairs leaking to the bathroom downstairs ?

Old 08-29-14, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
None of this is making sense. Do you have a leak when it rains or when you use water in the sink? Is this a leak in the ceiling or a plumbing leak in the sink? You've mentioned a skylight, the vent in the bathroom, a vent on the roof, the sink, the bathroom upstairs, the bathroom downstairs???

Old 08-29-14, 06:29 AM
D
It haven't rained yet since he fixed the flashing for the vent pipe on the roof.

Not sure if its related or not, but now when I use the bathroom sink upstairs, it drips water to the downstairs bathroom only when I use the water stopper in the bathroom sink.

Old 08-29-14, 09:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Have you looked underneath the sink for a leak? It's probably where the drain pipe meets the sink.

Old 08-30-14, 07:23 PM
D
No leaks under the sink.

Let me describe the problem.

The water leaks to the downstairs bathroom. Under the sink is dry. The leak only appears if I fill the sink with water and then remove the stopper.

If I just turn the water on without using the stopper, no leaks. The handyman said its high pressure buildup in the sink drain line ?

Any ideas on how do I fix this problem ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: