need help installing sink pipe

Old 09-16-14, 09:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need help installing sink pipe

Hi All,

I am almost done re-doing my bath but I encountered an issue (or 2)

- Sink pipe is above the pipe on the wall
- Size of the wall pipe is 2" while the one form the sink is 1 1/4"

Here is a picture:
Name:  IMG_2166 (Small).jpg
Views: 328
Size:  30.5 KB

Note the drawer does not allow me to lower too much to make it level to the wall...

So, do I need to bend the pipe and install some kind of joint?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-14, 11:12 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Drawer? There is a drawer that goes into this undersink space? Did you even think about that before hand?

Changing the drain size exiting the wall is easy, you simply add the proper "trap adapter" to the pipe sticking out the wall. However, the location of that stub IS a problem. No, you may not add any additional fittings to "bend" the trap arm down to fit the existing drain.

You could break into the wall and raise the sanitary tee to the desired height but I suspect that you do not want to do that. The only other solution that I see is to modify the drawer to allow for the trap assembly. This latter modification IS done on occasion when the drawer is desired.

Old 09-16-14, 01:13 PM
I was planning on adding fittings 2 "L" fittings at the wall to raise the drain at the level of the trap system under the sink (and so to keep the trap system with no changes) ... so Is this not acceptable? Can you pls explain what could be the problem ?

Old 09-16-14, 02:11 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Using two ells in that manner would create what is called an "S trap" and those are specifically not allowed. Perhaps you could instead use an ell out of the wall going to a sanitary tee with an air admittance valve on top of the tee if you have the room. Not all jurisdictions allow the use of an air admittance valve and even if they do the AAV must be accessible for maintenance.

Old 09-16-14, 05:08 PM
You can't attach elbows to pipe to make it higher.
Drain must come out of wall as is or you need to go into wall and raise sanitary tee as Furd said.

Here's an option, you may not like it.

1. It looks like shelf below drain line is not the bottom of the cabinet, but a full shelf/cover above drawer.

2. Test fit P-Trap to wall, using either a 2" to 1-1/2 Trap Adapter, or 2" PVC Trap.
It looks like shelf above drawer would need to be notched out for bottom of trap to fit.

3. This isn't great, but it saves the trouble of going into wall. If you cut the notch cleanly, it wouldn't look that bad.

4. I would only notch shelf if I could install trap and it doesn't interfere with drawer. If you have to notch and alter drawer, go into wall.

Old 09-20-14, 04:41 PM
Ok.. so I decided to go with plastic instead of metal pipes. I added a flexible "S" pipe next to the wall and a washer converter 1 1/2" to 1 1/4". Issue resolved.
Thanks!