Old shower kit.

Old 09-22-14, 06:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old shower kit.

I have an old 32x32 shower kit that I need to remove. It is from 1951. Is there a way to disconnect the drain from the top, or was that all done from the bottom? And when I got to install the new one, do I need to access the bottom to connect the drain?

Old 09-22-14, 09:02 PM
H
Most of those unless I am mistaken can be accessed from the top and I believe the older ones have some kind of tool you use to take the drain cover off. As for new stuff drooplug you probably will have to relocate the drain as I doubt it will be in the same place although it could be it just depends on the brand. Mike Lawrosa would know better than I would. I had to have the drain relocated but then my installation was different as it was from a tub to a shower.

Old 09-23-14, 04:31 PM
D
Well, it appears to be in the center and I believe the new kit will be in the center as well. However, the location of the center of my new shower pan may vary a bit. We shall see.

Old 09-23-14, 06:42 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
They did things differently back in the 50's. Can you give us a picture of the current set up and a link to the new shower base? What are your intentions with the walls in the new shower? What are the old walls? Chances of them meeting and lining up are slim at best. But you can adjust from above during tear out if you plan appropriately and have everything you need to proceed on hand during the time the floor is open. Have you considered a custom shower base installation??? I know you can do it...

Old 09-23-14, 08:17 PM
D
I am getting an all new shower kit. Pan plus walls. The existing has the concrete pan with metals walls and ceiling. It will all have to come out. This is what we might be getting for the new one: Shop Swanstone Veritek White Fiberglass and Plastic Walls and Floor 3-Piece Alcove Shower Kit (Common: 32-in x 32-in; Actual: 73.25-in x 32-in x 32-in) at Lowes.com

Old 09-23-14, 10:58 PM
H
That is a great shower for a small space and if you don't need to sit down while showering. We had bought the Sterling Accord shower for my mom and I just looked it up but it is too big for your space. This should be good though for what you are thinking about but you need to have a good bed of mortar underneath. These are made fairly strong but the mortar adds to the strength. Sterling I think might make something smaller I will check it will give you another option.

I thought I would edit my post Sterling (which is made by a division of Kohler) does indeed make a smaller shower. Theirs has only one shelf in the back here is a link to the manufacturer http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/bath...d=2117822637-0 . They have videos available for their product there.

Now a link to the Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/STERLING-...ipping_options . A bit cheaper than at Lowes but it doesn't include the shower door. Shower doors though are not very expensive for small showers. We like our Sterling shower and we think it is great. Click on recommended items though on their website and you will see other showers at a lower price.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 09-23-14 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-24-14, 05:35 PM
D
Thanks for the help, but those are not 32x32.

Old 09-24-14, 06:20 PM
On the multi piece units, take a good look at them and determine how sturdy you think that they may be. Some are strong enough to stand on there own with only a nailing flange to hold things down. Others are so flimsy, that you need to glue portions of the mid range to drywall or other backing material. Also, heed previous advise that you may need to set the base in a bed of mortar. The higher end you go, the better the chance of the unit being a stand alone as opposed to a glue up. The less pieces, the better as there are less areas to fail. Yours is a base, sides unit and door.

I don't shop at big blue so I can not say specifically about that unit.

Old 09-24-14, 06:27 PM
D
There isn't much to choose from in this size. I can't get anything but a 4 piece through the door.

Old 09-24-14, 06:46 PM
Can you sketch and scan in a schematic layout with dimensions of the space you are working with? Again, just trying to work onto the same page and have not actually seen the space. Only been discussing snippets of different areas of the space.

Old 09-24-14, 06:52 PM
D
This is pretty much it. You can see a bit of the shower on the lower right. The floor is about 46" x 72".

Name:  2303687560_ee70295ef0_b.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 09-24-14, 06:58 PM
Watch out, low bridge.....What is to the left of the shower area? I know the ceiling is slanted, but what is located there? Is it dead space? Can you custom make your shower to utilize some of that space and open up the shower a little?

Old 09-24-14, 07:29 PM
H
I agree with czizzi that is a tight space I was hoping you would have a bit of room to make some changes. Maybe a custom shower in your case might be better I did find one shower from Home depot and this time I made sure it was 32 by 32 here is the link for Home Depot Aquatic A2 32 in. x 32 in. x 76 in. Shower Stall in White-3232CS-AW at The Home Depot . Not Sterling made by a company called Aquatic but it looked good. Here is the manufacturers website 3232CS .

Old 09-25-14, 03:03 PM
D
The shower is located under a valley in the roof. There are rafters that come down perpendicular to the roof you see in the picture. The bottom of those rafters land at the bottom of the wall that is to the right of the toilet. I will not be able to fit a larger shower kit because the top will hit the rafters for the roof that you can see.

Here is the view of the back of the shower from outside the bathroom: https://www.flickr.com/photos/drooplug/14005979107/

This is how it now. The shower is to the left of the radiator: https://www.flickr.com/photos/drooplug/15020983041/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: