First time to use Silicone Caulk - Advice Needed

Old 10-05-14, 07:11 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First time to use Silicone Caulk - Advice Needed

I posted this to the wrong board earlier, so I moved it here.
I am re- caulking our paneled shower. The previous silicone had mold growing in it. I plan on adding an additional vent fan in the shower stall to prevent mold from growing, but I am still in the process of removing the old silicone. I understand that it is very important to remove all traces of the previous silicone and that is where I have my question. I have been able to remove all of the silicone from the surface of the panels using Mekanica silicone caulk remover. I feel confident that I've gotten all silicone residue from the surface, but my question is how much time do I need to devote to the seams? The seams are very tight but I've been able to run a putty knife through the seams and scrape off silicone. Do I need to spend a lot of effort trying to remove every piece of silicone from inside the seam? This is been an ongoing project and I would like to get it right the first time. I do not want to remove silicone from the shower ever again. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 10-05-14, 07:20 PM
A
ATTACH]39492[/ATTACH] Name:  image.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  11.5 KB here are a couple of pictures of the shower stall. It was difficult to get a good picture in close quarters.

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-14, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Making sure the surface is clean and dry is more important than removing all the silicone residue. Silicone will adhere to silicone but moisture and/or dirt will create adhesion issues. Be sure to use a bath rm silicone caulk as it will have mildewcide added.

Old 10-06-14, 04:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree. DRY is the key word. Even if you have to set a fan in the shower for a day, make sure it is dry. Newer bathroom silicone with mildewcides in them are great. What happened to yours was the original was installed while damp. Mildew grew on the underside of the silicone/caulk and just kept growing. What you are doing is the only way to get-r-done right.

Old 10-06-14, 04:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A hair dryer run across the joints can help dry them out. Is this your only shower?

Old 10-06-14, 07:42 AM
After you have done all the above steps for prep:

When applying new silicone caulk, use mineral spirits to clean off excess while still wet.

Old 10-12-14, 10:05 AM
A
Thanks for the replys. Dry will not be a problem. We have been using another shower while I have been working on this one. Let's just say this has been an on going project....

I read that silicone will not stick to itself once cured, so I have been on a mission to remove every last trace of residue. It has been tedious to say the least. It sounds like as long as I have the surface clean, then I should get a good seal. I was worried about having to have the seams as clean. They are difficult to reach because they are so tight, but it sounds like that is not as much of an issue.

Before I caulk, I plan to clean the surface with denatured alcohol, then follow up with a bleach solution, and finally wipe clean with a wet rag. I can easily let it dry for days after I do this.

Do you guys have any other tips. Like I said, I want to do this shower one time and then never again for the rest of my life. So I want to get it right this first time.

Old 10-12-14, 12:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never had issues with touching up silicone caulk - add fresh caulk as/where needed. The main thing is to make sure the surface is clean and dry.

Caulking in the shower will never last forever but if you use the right caulk and do a good job [mostly prep] it should last a long time. As Brian said, having a rag wet with paint thinner will allow you to dress up or remove any excess caulk and keep your fingers clean in the process.

IMO using a quality caulking gun helps you do a better job. I detest a cheap caulking gun!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: