Drain sizing, old pipes, and code... ?

Old 10-08-14, 09:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain sizing, old pipes, and code... ?

(Hi All ! First post !)

I just moved into an old (1920's) house, and I'm trying to figure out the details of how to re-locate the washing machine. The existing location is served by a long run of drain pipe that looks to be less than 1.5" and it joins the kitchen sink drain before entering the large cast iron house drain. Not ideal, to say the least.

The place I want to relocate the washer to would tie into about a foot of 1.5" lead pipe which then enters the large cast iron house drain. The piece of lead drain pipe would be shared with the bathtub. (Yes, I would vent both traps properly...)

I know that the washer drain should be 2" diameter, but using 2" for the washer drain and tapering down to 1.5" at the lead pipe seems like a really bad idea. Tearing apart main cast iron drain pipe to add a 2" adapter seems like a really expensive idea. So if I were to use 1.5" for the whole washer drain to the lead pipe, would that be likely to pass inspection ?

A related question : If instead of the washer, I plumb in a laundry sink with 1.5" drain to the lead pipe, and then drain the washer into the laundry sink, would that satisfy code ?

I have heard vaguely that older houses are "grandfathered in" where code is concerned, but I have no practical experience what this means. Either option I am considering (with or without the laundry sink) would be an improvement over the current situation, but I'm still afraid of opening a big (expensive) can of worms if I try to have it inspected.

Anybody care to share good/bad experiences with plumbing inspectors, old houses, and DIY changes that don't quite measure up to modern code ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-14, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums....

So if I were to use 1.5" for the whole washer drain to the lead pipe, would that be likely to pass inspection ?
Forget the washer pipe at 1 1/2". Install a laundry sink near the washer. Pipe the laundry sink with 1 1/2" then drain washer into sink...

A related question : If instead of the washer, I plumb in a laundry sink with 1.5" drain to the lead pipe, and then drain the washer into the laundry sink, would that satisfy code ?

LOL... I guess I should read ahead.... ha ha... yes of course...

I have heard vaguely that older houses are "grandfathered in" where code is concerned, but I have no practical experience what this means. Either option I am considering (with or without the laundry sink) would be an improvement over the current situation, but I'm still afraid of opening a big (expensive) can of worms if I try to have it inspected.
You are in a way, but why continue to adopt bad practices...

Work smarter not harder. The laundry sink is ideal..

I would get rid of the lead pipe and convert what you can in PVC..

Wear gloves and dont put your fingers in your moth... LOL