Toilet Clog

Old 10-10-14, 02:29 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Clog

I flushed a piece of aloe vera plant. I should never have even tried. Big mistake. It is lodged between the pipes or the toilet itself so that it is not fully clogged but it won't fully drain either. The water level is low.

This is not the type of toilet that has a tank in the back. The toilet auger I used just would not go through. The opening bends up almost right at the opening and the cheapest auger I got needs to go horizontal a bit first with the guard unfortunately that doesn't match the design of this toilet at all. I guess I have no choice but to take it apart and get the plant. It will only absorb more water as I let it stay there and I doubt it will breakdown. Any other ideas?

Old 10-10-14, 03:50 PM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
You could try copper sulfide (root killer) but it may take awhile.

Old 10-10-14, 05:21 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hind sight is 20/20 and you have learn a lesson that you won't try again. But removing and resetting the toilet is something that we can walk you through. You will need a new wax ring (#10 thick one) and an adjustable wrench to remove the toilet bolts. Other than that, you need a good back to be able to lift the toilet off and then back onto the bolts.

I would do this before the plant gets into the main pipe system of the house and you have to call in a roto/rooter service.

Old 10-10-14, 07:20 PM
D
Could you guys walk me through it? if possible could you guys point me in the direction of a good video tutorial as well? Do I need new bolts, nuts and washers? Or do I only need the wax ring and adjustable wrench? Is there any preferences in terms of brand or just the thickness? Also should I be layering one in top of the other for the wax rings? Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Old 10-10-14, 07:54 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look for the wax ring that includes the new bolts and washers and has a plastic horn.
Not much to it, shut the valve off to the toilet, flush the toilet, suck out the rest of the water with a shop vac or a sponge and a bucket.
Remove the supply line from the toilet and the two nuts.
Now just lift it off and flip it on it's side.
Clean off the old wax ring on the toilet and flange with a putty knife. (lay down some newspaper to wipe it off on.)
Pull the plant out.
To reinstall just set the new bolts in place making sure there directly across from each other, insert the wax ring horn side down, squish the wax out a little around the bolts to hold them in place.
Install the toilet, sit down on the toilet to compress the ring, do not over tighten the nuts on the bolts.
The whole job should take no more then 1/2 hour.

Old 10-10-14, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
This is not the type of toilet that has a tank in the back. The toilet auger I used just would not go through.
Get the right auger....

What toilet is it???

All trap-ways are similar... Auger it with a $50 auger and be done with it... Or pull the toilet. No guarantees there as it may be up in the trap... You will not get to it...

Old 10-11-14, 01:59 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Just one of many YouTube videos on replacing the wax seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0TzEAzDZw

Old 10-11-14, 06:30 AM
D
If the bowl has low water, that means the object is stuck partly in the trap way and partly on the other side (whatever that is called). That allows it to wick water from the bowl out and down the drain. Use a plunger like this: http://www.amazon.com/Korky-93-8-Ori...ywords=plunger and try to plunge it out. When you plunge a toilet, you are trying to pull it back in in the bowl. I find having the bowl full of water helps.

Old 10-11-14, 10:16 AM
D
It has been fixed! Thank you everyone for all your help and responses!

To answer some questions:

I tried the plunger a few times. It is similar to the amazon link. There was definitely a lot of water pressure but I think the aloe vera plant was too heavy and strong to move. If it was something lighter such as toilet paper maybe it would have broken down from the pressure.

The auger I got would not go up the trap. It would go in but not up or possible not as easily as I would have hoped. The toilet is a flush-o-meter I believe. That's the type I found from searching online. I don't know if that's the correct term. It just doesn't have a water tank in the back and instead has a handle to bring the water to flush. The flush goes directly from the water supply into the toilet. The toilet itself is old and the brand is American Standard I believe.

The pieces of aloe vera plant was stuck at the end of the trap before the wax ring. There was even a piece of toilet paper stuck. It felt great to remove all the clogging materials.

I'm thinking about getting a toilet with a larger trap and probably that doesn't bend, if it exists. Not that I'm planning to flush plants down the toilet. I've learned my lesson, but just a thought. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology though.

Old 10-11-14, 11:07 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Congrats. Afraid they all have an internal bend. The purpose is to keep the aroma from coming out of the toilet from the sewer or septic by using a water seal.

Old 10-11-14, 02:49 PM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
If you get a new toilet, you can use the old as a planter. Maybe grow aloe vera in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: