Need some input on what brands are better

Old 10-17-14, 07:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some input on what brands are better

Hey guys, I'm replacing my old school shower/tub controls and so on. I'm braking up the tile and starting over. I was at the plumbing store last night and they have so many brands I have never hard of before. They told me they all have a life time on parts or anything. So I guess it's up to brand and coat. I want something that's going to last and but not brake the bank here. Yes they will replace what ever brakes over time but I'm not going to start replacing parts ever year or so if you know what I main.

There is Delta, brizo, groha, jaclo, newport brass, riobel, rohl.

I guess it comes down to who makes a better valve in the wall?

I saw some stuff in the delta book I like but I always thought delta is low great.

Thanks

Old 10-17-14, 08:49 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
When I expanded a bathroom for my father, I installed a Hans Grohe shower body, which remembers the temperature of your last shower. It cost $600 but it's $600 worth of heaven.

Old 10-17-14, 09:27 PM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
Any of the name brands are good. Hans Grohe is very good but pricey. I'm partial to Moen, but Delta, Am Std., Price-Phister are all good as are many other brands. Just make sure they come with a lifetime warranty as opposed to a those that are 5 year or less. Make sure they are metal and not plastic.

I have a Hans Grohe hand held shower unit and it's close to thirty years old. They have given me replacements parts over 5 times in that span and will continue to do so if I call them.

Old 10-18-14, 03:45 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Truth is that you get what you pay for. Pick up the item, and touch and feel. You can tell a quality product from the weight of the materials used. Moen and Delta use univeral rough in parts that get soldered into the wall. You then have hundreds of trim kits to choose from that all fit that part that is inside the wall.

Norm said
Make sure they are metal and not plastic.
This is very true. Cheaper brands will be plastic painted with a finish that looks like chrome or brushed nickle, but it still is plastic. I (being married) always rap on the item with my wedding band to make sure it is metal and not plastic.

Old 10-18-14, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
One word. MOEN!!!

Enough said....

Old 10-20-14, 08:19 AM
M
Ok, yes I know, I got a delta shower head and the big boxes store and it was plastic but I knew this and it broke within 6 months, but I'm still using it until I start taking the shower apart.

I was looking at moen and was leaning to them but the store dose not sell them. I have to find another place that sells them. Who is there valves?

I have been looking at groha stuff but what I can see, is most of there stuff only comes in chrome, I'm looking for brushed nickel.

Plus what ever style I get I want to get new sink controls of the same style.

Not shore if this is a problems or not. My cold and hot lines are only 1/2" copper. I figure all the valves take 3/4" in, then 1/2 out to controls?
because of this I was not getting a lot of water out of the new old delta shower head, it's on the second floor, So I turned up the psi to 70psi stand by and 65psi full use. I think that's a little high but it works. I have town water, and its coming in at 95 to 105psi.

Old 10-20-14, 09:17 AM
Go to a plumbing showroom to see styles. If you need more than one fixture order on line.
Go to Faucets.com. They carry just about any brand and all types. All brands will have both bright chrome and a bushed nickel.

As far a pipe size goes, typical mains are 3/4 with 1/2 branches for fixtures such as sinks, hose bibs and so forth. Usually the shut-off valve for a branch will be 1/2". Your pressures seem more than sufficient.

Old 10-20-14, 10:30 AM
M
ow ok, that's what I was thinking on doing. thanks for the web site.

Yep that's my problem, the line comes in 3/4" cold, then goes to the washer then goes down to a 1/2" and that goes up stairs to three bathrooms. hot off the boiler is 1/2 also. I guess as long as the valves take it I will be fine.

Old 10-20-14, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Find a Ferguson dealer near you with showroom...

Moens at the home stores are not the same as moen from a plumbing supply house..

Locations Finder

Old 10-20-14, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Moens at the home stores are not the same as moen from a plumbing supply house..
Mike I've heard this often, but do you mean they have more selection and higher grades at a supply house? I mean, if something is in the same box, same model number, with the same UPC barcode, how could it be any different? That would be a logistics and warranty nightmare.

Old 10-20-14, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
They do not use the same cartridges anymore in the home stores then what you get at the supply house from what I know..

Now more 1225B cartridges at the home store for the single lever faucets. Although the posi temp shower valves are still the same. But you cannot buy a moentrol at the home store, and thats all I use. I will not install a positemp unless requested..

I believe the materials are different too on some. Heavy brass vs plastic stuff..

But lifetime warranty across the board so who cares right?

A true moen from the supply house always had a brass 1225b cart. Is this true today? I dont know. Have not bought anything in several years faucet wise at the supply house as I dont do that type work anymore.

Here is the home store cart for moen single lever..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40391[/ATTACH]

Finally ceramic disc technology.. I am not a fan really. Even other brands ceramic disks were problematic. especially on home with wells and / or sediment issues.

With this said will all moens change to this, whether home store or supply house? I say yes... Its all about the dollar IMO..

Attached Images  

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-20-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 04:06 PM
Mike, what you say is true in one sense. The big box stores will sell what is most popular. But Moen model numbers will be the same quality regardless of where they are sold. Plumbing show rooms may have more selection but you'll pay the price for that selsction. That's why I recommend the Internet for buying source.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: