Bathroom Sink P-trap disassembly and installation

Old 10-29-14, 03:14 PM
Bathroom Sink P-trap disassembly and installation

This was a new installation in a 50 year old appartment done by a contractor about 14 months ago. The sink drained slowly from the start and became blocked recently. I was able to clear it by plunging but it is now blocked again. It hasn't drained in over 4 days.

I would like to disassemble the plumbing underneath the sink and run a snake through. I do not have any plumbing experience what so ever but I am capable. It seems though that the all the plumbing was glued together and I do not know how to take it apart. The connection to the galvanized steel pipe in the wall was also glued to the PVC.

I have included a picture (I can provide more if required). I would like to know how to disassemble the plumbing. Where exactly do I cut the pipe and what pieces I need to reassemble. Ideally I would like to be able to install a ptrap with clean out and not glue everything together so it can be disassembled in the future.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-14, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not installed correctly, as you have found out. Zoom out and give us a picture of the whole sink so we can see how it is assembled completely.

Old 10-29-14, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Should have never done it that way in my opinion. Using a solvent weld trap means it has to be cut out. Better to use a slip joint P-trap but if you rent it is the owners problem and he is who should be fixing it. If an old apartment building and you don't have small children I'd suspect the lines are clogged not the trap.

Edit: Just saw your location. Canada requires a P-trap with a clean out on the bottom so disregard my above but the trap is still wrong. It needs to have a clean out.

Name:  32546861.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  16.5 KB
Image source: Home Hardware (Canada)

Old 10-29-14, 04:17 PM
I am the owner of the building so I need to fix it. Where should I cut ? and what parts do I need ?

Here is a more zoomed out pic as requested.

Attached Images  
Old 10-29-14, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
The connection to the galvanized steel pipe in the wall was also glued to the PVC.
Show us that and we can help...

I would think its all to be removed and replaced...

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-29-14 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
By zoom out, I was hoping to see if the counter and the drain assembly could be lifted up and out of the trap so that it can be "unscrewed" and replaced with a proper trap without the need to cut. But the key is at the galvanized union.

Old 10-29-14, 07:20 PM
The galvanized pipe is now behind the finished ceramic, impossible to access without breaking the wall which is not an option. But the entire sink fixture can be unscrewed and lifted out of the ptrap.

Old 10-29-14, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
The galvanized pipe is now behind the finished ceramic, impossible to access without breaking the wall which is not an option. But the entire sink fixture can be unscrewed and lifted out of the ptrap.
sry there is nothing you can do .... There is no where to cut at all as I can see. Need to go in wall, period.

done by a contractor about 14 months ago
Call that guy back and complain.

Old 10-30-14, 05:47 PM
Well I decided to avoid taking apart the plumbing since it seemed I would be asking for trouble based on the info I got here. Instead, I purchased a 25ft 1/4 inch plumbing snake, went though the top of the drain and managed to clear the clog.