How to Remove Kitchen Faucet with U Bracket

Old 11-11-14, 04:18 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Remove Kitchen Faucet with U Bracket

I am trying to replace a leaky and not overly functional kitchen faucet in my house. The faucet is either a Moen or Kohler and is a 4 hole (4th hole is sprayer). In the attached picture you can see that the hot and cold lines are copper to the left and right holes. But the main mounting for the faucet, and where the sprayer line comes out, is a U shaped bracket. This consists of a roughly 1" thick black plastic piece and the thin metal bracket with what appears to be rivets in it. I have absolutely no idea how to get this off. I would prefer not to have to pull out and replace the whole sink just to replace the faucet, but I don't see anything to remove. There are two nuts on the copper portion of the sprayer line, and I did try to remove the top most with a basin wrench, but it won't budge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A picture of the faucet itself is also below.
Name:  Sink.jpg
Views: 10455
Size:  29.5 KBName:  Bracket.jpg
Views: 11607
Size:  20.3 KB

Old 11-11-14, 06:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
First remove the hose. You'll see that the whole length of the pipe is threaded. There is a nut just underneath the U shaped steel bracket. Unscrew that nut and the U bracket will slide down.

Old 11-11-14, 07:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's what I thought. The nut wouldn't budge though, so I went ahead and used a Dremel on it, cutting into the sides of the screw in a couple of places to get it to loosen up, and then I was able to get the nut off using a basin wrench. Took over a half hour just to get the nut off. End result was worth it, though. New faucet is in. Thanks for the advice, as I didn't want to start cutting into anything until I was reasonably sure that this was structured the way it was. Everyone's happy now!
Name:  New_Faucet.jpg
Views: 6646
Size:  32.8 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: