Pin Hole in my Tub...

Old 11-11-14, 07:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pin Hole in my Tub...

Ok so this morning after I took a shower I noticed a pinhole in my tub. I think it's a plastic tub. I know water has been leaking through it for at least a few days now, so there is prob water under the tub at this point.
I called my home insurance (Nationwide), and waiting for them to get back to me. I want a temp fix until they can get back to me so i can use the shower... so here's my question:

What should I get at my local hardware store that would TEMPORARILY fix the issue? (Like a tape, or plug or something) I want to be able to take it off once Nationwide arrives so they can see it for themselves. The hole is no bigger than a thumbtack hole.

Thanks so much... I am stressing this so much and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 11-11-14, 07:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
I'd just put a piece of electrical tape over it. If the area is clean and dry when you put the tape on it will hold and be waterproof and it's easily removed without leaving adhesive behind.

Old 11-11-14, 07:51 AM
T
Ok, and I could give my daughter a bath and everything and it should be ok for now?

(Thanks for the quick reply btw...)

Old 11-11-14, 07:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Don't think electric tape will hold up for a bath. Hardware store will have water proof tape. Just googled it and there are pages to look at.
Water proof tape

Old 11-11-14, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Plenty of tapes would do it, but not electrical. Gorilla tape or maybe even the silver HVAC tape.

Old 11-11-14, 09:27 AM
T
Awesome thanks! I'll check it out, i'm sure my local hardware store will have something like that

Old 11-11-14, 09:31 AM
T
I just really hope my homeowners insurance will cover this, I definitely do not have the money for the repairs

Old 11-12-14, 05:50 AM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
I would use a bit of putty to seal that hole. Later it can be picked out with a wire or paper clip. Before you do anything take a video of it to show the insurance company. They may not cover if you don't take mmediate measures to prevent further damage, but you need to show them the problem.

Old 11-12-14, 11:28 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Let us know if the homeowners insurance covers it. I am far from an insurance expert but it sounds like a regular repair to me, as opposed something an insurance company would cover. I assume it wasn't caused by a tornado or anything like that.

Old 11-12-14, 11:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I can't imagine why an insurance company would cover a hole in a tub, either. Additionally, I can't imagine that having them pay for it would be worth the risk of a premium increase or being dropped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: