Toilet fills up with water

Old 11-12-14, 06:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet fills up with water

Hello and thanks for any help.
Toilet in a half bath filled up with water and when I plungered it, it began leaking from the was seal. We called a plumber who took us to the proverbial cleaners. He removed the toilet and power augered the line ($450) and reset the toilet ($200) last Friday and it's worked except this morning, it's doing the same thing. We also had the septic tank pumped Monday so it's not that. This toilet is upstairs; there's another bathroom downstairs and we have no problem with that toilet. There's a third toilet upstairs which also has no problem. The line to the toilet in the half bath runs about 30 feet before it meets the stack where it is joined by the line from the other upstairs toilet.
I don't want to spend another $650 to have the line augered again and I really don't think that's the problem. The only other thing I can imagine is that maybe the vent line is plugged. There's a sink that also drains to the same line as the problem toilet and it drains OK except that as it drains, we see bubbles coming up from the toilet.
Any ideas?
Thanks for listening.
Ted

Old 11-12-14, 07:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Call him back you have already paid for his service. Unless something new in toilet should be on him.

Old 11-12-14, 08:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Wow - I've had a toilet replaced for $200 and that was just the charge to re-seat it?

Call the guy back but on his nickel; he owes you several of them.

Old 11-12-14, 11:14 AM
J
I just checked the bill and while he listed a one-year warranty on reseating the toilet, he listed a "0" warranty on augering the line. The head on the auger seemed to be about 2 inches.
Since the line cleaning was not under warranty, guess I need to call yet another plumber. Would it do any good to just run a snake down the toilet and through the line?

Old 11-12-14, 12:07 PM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
What he should have done is run a remote cam down that sewer to check for broken tiles. That first plumber did not do a proper job for the money he charged. Make sure the next plumber has a remote cam to look at sewer line to see where the clog or break is located. Cameras for plumbers are now becoming a standard tool for them.

Old 11-12-14, 12:33 PM
J
It's not a broken tile. As per the original post, this is an upstairs toilet with a line that meets the stack at a junction where another upstairs toilet comes in; the stack then drops to a septic tank. We had the tank serviced Monday. It's apparently a clog in that line, which is standard 3" PVC and runs about 30 feet to meet the stack.

Old 11-12-14, 12:36 PM
Received 287 Votes on 257 Posts
Right, I forgot history from 1st post. Still a cam of the vent pipe would help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: