Shower Head dripping with valves off?

Old 11-12-14, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Head dripping with valves off?

Hello All,
I have a "simple" shower; separate hot and cold valves going to the shower head. Yesterday I noticed water on the floor, small drips coming from the cold water valve. I pulled the valve, replaced the seat, spring and cartridge. The drip stopped at the valve, but I then noticed a slight drip from the shower head. Thinking it might possibly have something to do with the hot water valve, I replaced the seat, spring and cartridge on that also. Still water drips from the shower head. I didn't build this thing, so I don't know what is in the wall. Is there anything that could be bypassing the valves and allowing water to go up to the head, or is it something wrong with the valve(s)?? Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 11-13-14, 09:14 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Does it stop if you shut the hot water at the hot water heater?

Old 11-14-14, 05:38 PM
Great suggestion! I turned the water heater outlet off, drained the line, but it is still dripping. this must mean the problem is in the cold valve? I will take the cartridge out and reseat it to see if that does it.
Thanks

Old 11-14-14, 05:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Let us know what happened.

Old 11-14-14, 06:27 PM
No change, if anything it seems to be dripping more than before. can the cartridge be backwards?? It looks like it can only go in one way.......

Old 11-14-14, 06:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
By any chance are there valves that control that bathroom only? Usually, hot water heaters only have a valve on the cold water feed, to the tank. When you said that you shut the hot water outlet, did you mean that you shut off the cold water feed to the hot water heater?

Old 11-14-14, 09:00 PM
Pulpo,
Sorry, you are correct. I did close the cold water inlet to the water heater. I reseated the cold and hot cartridges and it still drips. Going back to the beginning, there were no brand markings on the faucets, so I took one of the old ones to Lowes and found what I thought were identical replacements....Danco 3Z-6H/C. They look the same as the old ones and fit, could this be the problem?
Thanks.

Old 11-14-14, 09:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I had a similar problem once. The seats & cartridges look so much alike that sometimes, you don't really know if you have the exact replacement. Is the shower body accessible from a closet behind the shower?

Old 11-15-14, 06:36 PM
There is a closet but no access panel. I am going to take the original cartridges to a plumbing supply store and find out if my Dancos are correct. If they are, I guess the next step is to create an access panel and see what's behind.. thanks for your help.

Old 11-15-14, 09:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I had problems with a Danco cartridge, on a Dell faucet. I had called Danco & was on the phone with them for almost an hour. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: