The toilet flushes but the refill stops and starts 3x

Old 11-18-14, 07:15 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question The toilet flushes but the refill stops and starts 3x

The toilet flushes and refills OK. But when it starts refilling, there is a herky-jerky stop and start where the water comes and then suddenly stops, this repeats twice again within a couple seconds or so. There are no other issues. What could be causing this?

Old 11-18-14, 12:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
Does have the tub faucet running water affect how the toilet flushes? I wonder if you have a water supply issue.

Old 11-18-14, 12:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question The tub is never running when this happens

The tub is never running when this happens. And it happens every time now. It started about two weeks ago. How would I check the water supply? What else could it be?

Old 11-18-14, 12:51 PM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Not a plumber, but have you actually watched the fill valve while this is happening? is it possible that somehow the water is sloshing around causing the float to rise and fall thereby causing the water to stop and start?

Old 11-18-14, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
never seen this happen but sounds like the fill valve is going bad.

Old 11-18-14, 03:33 PM
Z
Received 34 Votes on 33 Posts
I’m no plumber but if you have a flexible supply line I would disconnect the supply line from the toilet and use some big container to hold several gallons of water. I would then turn the supply back on with the container catching the water and see if there is any kind of problem with the water supply.

But IMHO I bet the other guys are correct, it would seem it most likely would be a problem with the fill valve. But seems to me the water supply test would be good to do.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: