Toilet keeps leaking/"ghost flushing"

Old 11-24-14, 05:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet keeps leaking/"ghost flushing"

I had to replace the lever on my toilet. And, somewhere in the process, I took off the flush valve and put it back on. Ever since, my toilet has been leaking and ghost-flushing every few minutes or so. You can hear the faint trickling sound as the water drips down the tube. I bought a new flush valve to replace it. But, after replacing it, I'm still facing the same issues.

I did an experiment. I turned off the water and flushed most of it out of the tank. I left an inch of water in the tank, and now I don't hear the trickling sound anymore. I think this means that the problem doesn't involve the flapper/valve seat/etc? And that the issue is somewhere *above* it?

I would really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-14, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
It would also do that if your chain is too tight. Adjust the chain... plus remove, clean and reinstall the flapper and seat while the water is out of the tank.

Old 11-24-14, 05:33 PM
J
I left some slack on the chain, so I don't think it's too tight.

And, as I'd mentioned, I did a quick experiment where I left an inch of water in the tank (the flapper was submerged in the water) and the trickling noise stopped. This leads me to believe that the problem is somewhere above the flapper, though I could be wrong

Old 11-24-14, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Put some food coloring in tank and see if it is getting into bowl? If it is than leak is either flapper or seal between tank and bowl.

Old 11-24-14, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
You don't think that 8 or 9" of water pressure would maybe cause a leaking flapper to leak even more than 1" of water pressure would?

Old 11-24-14, 07:14 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Flapper or seal is leaking.
Common problem, shut off the water, flush the toilet to drain the tank, clean up the sealing surface with a Scotch Brite pad.
Still leaking? Fluid Master sells a glue on seal so you do not have to remove the whole tank.
Any Hardware, Lowes or HD will have it.

Old 11-25-14, 04:29 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Make sure the overflow fill tube from the fill valve is sitting in a bracket pointing down the fill tube and not just shoved into the fill tube. Shoved in can lead to a siphon effect that will drain water from the tank. Also, make sure you do not have TOO much slack in the chain, or it can get stuck under the flapper and prevent a good seal. Is the flapper one with "ears" on it or one that slides down over the overflow tube? If universal, did you remove the center portion to allow the ears to be independent of each other?