Kitchen sink backs up and gurgles

Old 12-08-14, 09:44 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink backs up and gurgles

Hi,

First post here.

I'll give you all the symptoms.

1. After running the main kitchen sink for about 1 min, my center island sink starts to gurgle

2. After about 5-10 mins of running he kitchen sink, it then starts to back up.

3. Once I stop the water flow from the kitchen sink. The sink will start draining slowly (5-10mins). Once all the water is drained, the center island gurggles for about 10mins.

4. I snaked my sink and actually replaced some of the abs. There was some grease build up, but plenty of room for water to flow.

5. I went up to the room and used a snake down the stack the kitchen sinks are hooked up to. Seems to be clear.

6. I also installed a cheater vent on the centre island but not the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink is about 3 ft from the stack.

7. Once i did all these things. The island sink only guggles when the main kitchen sink is running. Once it stops, the gurgle stopes almost instantaneous.

8. I don't believe the sink back ups any more. I can't say for sure. Ran the water for 5 mins. It should have backed up by then.

Any thoughts here?

MY main question is:

Why does my island still gurgle?
Should install a cheater vent by my main kitchen sink?

Note: I lived in the same house for 7 years. Never experieneced any backup issues or gurgling. This is all new and sudden.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-14, 04:54 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
There was some grease build up, but plenty of room for water to flow.
Gurgling is an indication of lack of air flow into the drain to assist with the proper flow of liquid. Without sufficient inflow of air, the drain grabs from anyplace it can find - in your case the island sink. You also can have a backup between the two as indicated with some grease that is causing a slowdown, blockage to the original vent thus gurgling to fulfill its air requirements. Both sinks therefore need an Air Admittance Valve installed under the sink. However, in the meantime, I would take a couple of large stock pots, fill with water and bring to a hard boil. Then slowing pour the boiling water down the drain. It should help to melt and disburse some of the grease and ease the blockage. Adding some dish detergent to the water will also help carry some of the grease away.

Old 12-09-14, 05:30 AM
B
thanks czizzi.

I'm one of those OCD guys. I need to know what caused the issue. Why would there be no problem for 7 years since I did my kitchen reno?

Old 12-09-14, 05:43 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
If everything always functioned as directed, I would be out of a job. 7 years is a long time to let things slither down a drain, who knows what really is in there. But, often a residential auger or snake simply punches a small hole in a clog which allows for drainage, but never really takes care of the clog itself. I'm on a 4 to 6 month cycle to clean the drains of my wife and 2 daughters as hair, makeup, toothpaste etc just builds up until there is a blockage. Its also an air pressure thing, if the pressures are correct, there is no drain, even if there is room to flow.

So, not knowing your family and their habits, can't say. My sister in law used to turn on the garbage disposer for long enough to grind the food, but never let the water run to wash the food down. That along with the belief that who needs a garbage container when you have a disposer, eventually lead to a food clog in her pipes that took professional assistance to clear.

Again, you did nothing wrong, 7 years is a long time for things to slip past the kitchen sink after a meal clean ups.

Old 12-09-14, 10:15 PM
B
I just installed an auto valve on the main kitchen sink. So now the island and main have auto valves. I still get gurgling. So clearly this is not an air pressure issue... Correct? It's not my main stack being clogged?

It's probably a clog somewhere down the line?

Old 12-14-14, 08:39 AM
A
If I were you, I'd buy some Rid-X at your local hardware store. It is not caustic and will create bacteria to decompose the residue that is probably causing the slow drainage. I had a similar problem with my washing machine and 3 consecutive nights of using Rid-X seems to have eliminated the problem. It is actually something used for septic tank cleaning, but a guy on a local radio home show talks about it all the time for slow drains. It would probably be a good idea to do all the sinks at the same time. You have to let it sit overnight. Once the drain is stopped up completely RidX will not work. I would doubt this clog is due to hair (which would take a Draino or or lye type cleaner).